cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about attaching a Nikkor 20mm ai-s lens to Conon Rebel T6s ?

hKuenph
Enthusiast

Camera : Canon Rebel T6s

Lens      : Nikkor AI-s 20mm 1:2.8

Project   : Combine the above 2 for street shooting

Question : The rear part of the lens interferes the mirror flipping  in T6s

I am here to ask for your actual experiences, good or bad, of such combinations..

Thanks.

Kuenph

12 REPLIES 12

Well, I lack the actual experience you're looking for. But I can safely assure you that if the mirror hits the lens, your actual experience will be bad.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you, Bob.

Nikkor AI-s 1:2.8 f=20mm is an ultra-wide lens. I am afraid that the mirror just might hit the rear optical element.  It will be very bad indeed if it happens.

Thank you.

Kuenph

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@hKuenph wrote:

Camera : Canon Rebel T6s

Lens      : Nikkor AI-s 20mm 1:2.8

Project   : Combine the above 2 for street shooting

Question : The rear part of the lens interferes the mirror flipping  in T6s

I am here to ask for your actual experiences, good or bad, of such combinations..

Thanks.

Kuenph

I have no experience with adapting old Nikkor lenses to the EF mount, but my crystal ball says, “Not Good.”  I believe those adapters are made for Nikkor lenses with electronic aperture and focus control, like the G Series lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, Waddizzle.

There are adapters without any electonic connectors, fully manual.  The only function of the manual adapters is to fix the lens on the camera.  I do not need any electronic functionalities.  I'll use hyper focus which will give me a range of acceptable DOF from around 1.3M to infinbity if the aperture is set at f/8.  I will not use it for anything else but street photography. 

Thank you.

Kuenph 

@hKuenph wrote:

Thank you, Waddizzle.

There are adapters without any electonic connectors, fully manual.  The only function of the manual adapters is to fix the lens on the camera.  I do not need any electronic functionalities.  I'll use hyper focus which will give me a range of acceptable DOF from around 1.3M to infinbity if the aperture is set at f/8.  I will not use it for anything else but street photography. 

Thank you.

Kuenph 

I guess I misunderstood your post.  I thought you were saying that the mirror was hitting the lens, and were asking how to correct it.  

I have used a Rokinon 14mm T3.1 Cinema Lens for street photography, but it is just a little bit on the big side compared to the Nikkor 20mm AI-S.  As already pointed out, manual focusing becomes harder with longer focal lengths.  I played around with the 14mm lens on a tripod until I was satisfied I knew where the hyperfocal point was on the focus ring.  I marked focus ring.

Shoot in Av mode or M mode with a manual lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ray-uk
Whiz

Go to youtube and search for:

"Nikon NIKKOR 20mm f/2.8 AI-S Lens (on a Canon 7D) TEST"

If it is alright on a 7D then it should be ok on your camera.

It is more likely to hit the mirror on a FF camera, the biggest problem you will have is the manual focusing, generally anything wider than 35mm can be difficult to manually focus on a DSLR screen unless you use live view.

Thank you, Ray.

Yes, the video shows the lens on 7D does work well.  But I can not be sure if the mirror is locked up during the making of the video.

Thank you anyway.

Kuenph

Do a google search for "MFLenses forum" and then in the mflenses sites search box put "nikon ais 20mm 2.8" look down left hand column for "Manual Focus Lenses (16 lines down)" then click on "Nikon ais 20mm 2.8" in next column, your answer is there where someone is using it unmodified on a Canon 5D.

All of that would have been much easier if this site would allow me to put a direct link to it.

Thank you again, Ray.. Canon 5D is a full frame format. Nikkor AI-s 1:2.8 f=20mm is a full frame lens. But Rebel T6s is a APS-C camera.  I am not sure the lens fits on APS-C body just as well as on full frame body.

To find it out, I shall post my question on that forum.

Thank you again.

Kuenph

Announcements