cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about EOS XS autofocus versus newer models

mharris1x
Apprentice

Hi- I am not a camera buff, other than an occasional exotic wildlife pic.

I am an ebay powerseller which accounts for 99% of my camera use.

I occasionally have a problem with the autofocus on my EOS Rebel XS.

- it has a problem focusing on dark clothes in general (pictures are fuzzy and not crisp).  If I lay a black purse on its side for a photo against my white couch- forget it.

- dark clothes hanging with a white tag in front is a particular problem (can't seem to focus at all and I have to take the shot with autofocus off)

- I can't seem to focus on more than one spot on an item

My iphone camera seems to be able to present me with 3+ red flashing lights at various points in the shot, and delivers a clear picture.  My canon camera doesn't seem to be able to do that.  

Yes of course I could become a better photographer and worry about lighting etc.  But for ebay I need to get these pictures in and out quickly.

MY question is- Will a newer model EOS rebel improve on this situation?  I was looking at a good deal on a T6i - is the autofocus any different in the newer models?

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What focusing point mode are you using?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The autofocus is better on the T6's,but all autofocus is just a machine and can be fooled.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Michelle,

There is a great deal of difference between a cell phone and a DSLR like your Rebel XS.

"dark clothes hanging with a white tag in front is a particular problem"

Cameras need contrast especially in the vertical to focus quickly and accurately.  The size of the aperture of the lens, the big difference between a phone and camera, has a lot to do with it, too.  If you use just the center focus point of the XS and placed it exactly on the edge of the white tag, I bet it would work every time.

"I can't seem to focus on more than one spot on an item"

No lens, not your cell nor the XS, can focus on more than one place at a time.  You may have several lights but only one is in perfect foucs.  If the AF doesn't focus you can always use the MF, manual focus, feature of your DSLR lens.

"Will a newer model EOS rebel improve on this situation?"

Of course, the newer cameras have better AF.  It may still have trouble with items with little or no contrast.

One other thing to consider is how close you are to the subject.  If you are too close, the XS will not achieve AF. And, neither would a T6i.  Trying to AF on a blank wall, or clear blue sky, for instance can be a real challenge for a DSLR.  The lens you are using will effect AF.  Some are better than others with the 'kit' lens being on the not so good side.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements