cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about 1300d aperture in video mode

Peter333
Apprentice
I have a semi urgent question that i cannot find the answer to. Yesterday I bought a 1300d to make videos, and i'm getting regrets buying it. In video mode, is the aperture fixed on 5.6 ? I can change the shutterspeed, but not the aperture??. I bought this camera only to have manual shutter/aperture. The lens is the stock efs 18-55mm. In single shot mode i can go a stop lower to 3.5, but not in video mode. There seems to be no button to chance the aperture??? I`m now thinking about buying another lens that allows 1.4 aperture in single shot mode, but will this better lens affect the aperture in video mode?
Any help with this would be much appreciated

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Peter333 wrote:
I have a semi urgent question that i cannot find the answer to. Yesterday I bought a 1300d to make videos, and i'm getting regrets buying it. In video mode, is the aperture fixed on 5.6 ? I can change the shutterspeed, but not the aperture??. I bought this camera only to have manual shutter/aperture. The lens is the stock efs 18-55mm.

In single shot mode i can go a stop lower to 3.5, but not in video mode. There seems to be no button to chance the aperture??? I`m now thinking about buying another lens that allows 1.4 aperture in single shot mode, but will this better lens affect the aperture in video mode?
Any help with this would be much appreciated

If you purchased the 1300D primarily for video, then I suggest returning it for a more expensive Rebel camera.  The 1300D is designed to be an entry level camera, to teach the user about using a DSLR camera.  It is not designed for high performance, and when it comes to video it lacks an external input for an external microphone.  The bigger initial investment is well worth it.  The best buy in the current Canon lineup is the EOS 80D.

Your aperture limitations are apparently being caused by your kit lens, the one included with the camera.  Like the camera body, the kit lens is designed to teach you about lenses, and not so much for high performance.  You can shoot video with it, but if you want wide aperture performance, then you will need to buy a wide aperture lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements