Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Problems with T3 flash

My used EOS T3 flash works correctly in auto mode, but in av or tv mode I can't get the flash to pop-up. Am I doing something wrong?

Super Contributor

Re: Problems with T3 flash

Hey carpet1,

Those modes won't use flash unless you explicitly tell them too.  Because you're no longer in a fully-automatic mode, there's leeway for the camera to adjust other exposure settings to (try to) let in enough light / make the picture brighter.

If you want the flash to fire, press the Flash button before shooting and the flash should pop-up.  Its #3 here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T3/T3A2.HTM

New Contributor

The problem is when I press the button, the flash will not pop-up. When I press the button, the ISO setting screen appears. I have tried every setting I can think of. I have to go to automatic mode and push the picturentaking button halfway for it to pop-up

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

FOUND IT!  Smiley Happy

Somehow one of your "Custom Functions" got set (from the previous owner, I'd assume).  From Page 77 of the user manual:

Screen Shot 2012-11-18 at 2.54.23 PM.png

More details from Page 222:

Screen Shot 2012-11-18 at 2.56.35 PM.png

Just hop into the menu, and change this back (to "0: Raise built-in flash"), and you should be good to go!

Highlighted
New Contributor

U the man! That is the problem and the solution. Thanks!