cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Rebel T3i error 70 and SD card probems

MzChar
Apprentice

I'm having an issue with my T3i   the battery went dead so I charged it and after just reloaded it.   Then I started getting a message saying my SD card had a problem and it wouldn't read it.   I tried to format but it wouldn't do it on the camera.  I put in my laptop and reformatted it .    A note the camera wasn't even reading that it had on it the computer did.   So I put it back in and then I received an error 70.    I took out the battery and reloaded,  same thing.  It was showing the image I took but then it locked up again.  I have no clue what's going on.   Firmware is 1.02 

Thanks 

Char 

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Make sure the computer formatted the SD card to MS Windows' FAT32 File System.  Once you perform the low-level format in a computer, you should then perform a regular format in the camera to setup the initial folder names that the camera will be looking for duirng normal operations. 

The root folder is named "DCIM".  The following is from page 169 of the Instruction Manual

Creating_Folders_With_Computer.PNG

Also, avoid using mini-cards with adapters.  They're more trouble than what they are worth.  I recommend not using them.  Eye-Fi cards bring along there own assortment of unique issues and errors.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

iwctoys
Apprentice

Canon T series along with other Canon digital cameras have a design fault. I have repaired at least 6 Canon T series cameras all with ERR 70. All of them had CMOS sensors that got so hot they melted solder on chips on the CMOS. Canon could have with a few pennies placed simple heat sinks on the CMOS. Warnings should have been put into instruction books about using Live View ans lenghth of videos.

@iwctoys wrote:

Canon T series along with other Canon digital cameras have a design fault. I have repaired at least 6 Canon T series cameras all with ERR 70. All of them had CMOS sensors that got so hot they melted solder on chips on the CMOS. Canon could have with a few pennies placed simple heat sinks on the CMOS. Warnings should have been put into instruction books about using Live View ans lenghth of videos.

Not only are there warnings in the instruction manuals, there are warning icons that appear in viewfinder and the LCD displays.  But, the cameras should have shut themselves down before they reached a temperature that could melt solder.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Cameras should have been built with heat sink. A simple piece of cooper tape over CMOS. I now mod CMOS with cooper tape, cost tape 25 cents.

Are you talking about the digic chip or the sensor?

Place copper foil over rear of the sensor by the chips. Helps draw away heat from the chips. Seems to work have done this for several people who do long video recordings. So far no overheating problems. Sorry just got very sick and tired of every solution on google going to SD card and SD card reader board. Logic always dictates the solution should be very obvious.

Hello there.

I'm pretty certain I've cooked my T3i sensor as a result of filming long clips.

I'm having a go at fixing it myself, and I'm intrigued by your copper tape solution.

Do you mean that you do something like one of the images below with sticky backed copper tape?
Thanks,

Tom

sensor a.jpgsensor b.jpg

Announcements