cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printed Image is not as clear as screen image

debaroo
Contributor

I have a Rebel EOS SL2 and I have a picture that I was submitting to an exhibit and the pixels under properties for this image is 3555 x 3983 pixels.  I used GIMP to confirm that the dpi for my 8 x 10 printed picture would be at least 300 dpi and it should be based on the conversion of pixels to dpi (3555/300 = 11.85 & 3983/300 = 13.28).  Basically I should be able to print up to an 11 x 13 picture with this image and still get a 300 dpi quality print.  However, when I received my printed image, it just doesn't look as good as it did on my screen, which I understand is 72 DPI.  I am not sure why my picture does not look as good when printed.  What am I missing?  Could it be related to my background blur or something else I am not considering?  I ordered my print from an online source and had it mailed to me, so I am not processing/printing images myself.  Can anyone provide any insight into what I might be missing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@debaroo wrote:

Sounds l8ke I need to consider purchasing a post editor and my own photo printer.  Currently I do not have either.  What would be one of the best post editors for me to use that is not too expensive?  I am willing to spend a little more if it is beneficial.  

Also, what photo printer should I consider purchasing?  

I like lustre rather than glossy prints most of the time.  When submitting wildlife and flora photos for exhibits is one usually preferred over the other?  I have been submitting lustre to our local art gallery and all they have required is 300 dpi.

One last question, as it sounds like I have quite a bit to learn.  I have been considering getting a journal subscription to help with my leaning curve, but can anyone recommend any good photography classes that I can take online or that are offered as a camp for learning?  I have found a local photography group that meets once a month that I plan on join8ng.

Thanks for all the replies.  

If you want to start getting into post editing of your own images start with the free Canon Digital Photo Professional. You can download it at the canon support site for your camera.

There are a myriad of free phtot education videos on YouTube. No need to pay when starting out.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

"I have downloaded the Canon Digital Photo Professional and if I feel it does not meet my needs..."

I, too, would like to know what DPP4 does not do for you?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"...start with the free Canon Digital Photo Professional"

I totally agree. This is the place to begin and it is free. Plus it is a capable program. Somewhat limited but it is free so grab it today.  There are no other editors out there better than DPP4 except Photoshop and/or Lightroom. They are not fee but they are the industry standard. 

EB

Thanks

" I will look at purchasing Photoshop or Lightroom."

You can not buy PS or LR.  You have to rent them for $10 per month.

EB

"...what photo printer should I consider purchasing?"

I like and use the Canon Pixma Pro series and have for many years now. I have had five or six of them. I have the Pixma Pro 100 currently.  It is a 13x19 full on photo printer. It is big and heavy.  Keep in mind it is not an office printer and does not do well if you try to make it one.  It is a photo printer!  I am not sure what model number they are up to now but you can check it out.

The one thing you need to consider is ink.  When you have a photo printer you don't print all day every day. Even when I was working full yime, I only printed once a week or so.  Now it may be a month or two between printing sessions. The Pixma Pro takes very good care of its ink when YOU ARE NOT printing.  Most, or at least some, photo printers do not.

EB

The Pixma Pro-200 is the current equivalent of the Pro-100. Unfortunately it looks like the great deals that existed with the Pro-100 are no more. 

Right on about sharpness and glossy paper. Canon Photo Paper Pro Platinum is excellent. Reminiscent of Cibachrome in analog film days. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

eeb.png

EB

"I like lustre rather than glossy prints most of the time."

Lustre is nice and best for some types of photos.  Wanting the sharpest photo is not a good use for lustre.  Gloss or high gloss or for outstandingly sharp and dramatic prints try metal. The paper you choose is one if not the most important parts of color or B&W printing. Paper can be expensive and the very best paper is very expensive.

EB

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Don't forget that it could just be an incompetent printer.

I use a local service (not Staples or Office Max!) that will reprint an image if I don't like how it comes out.

kvb, who do you use? Staples, Walgreens and CVS have photo processing. Curious. We have some commercial printer here.

Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements