cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printed Image is not as clear as screen image

debaroo
Contributor

I have a Rebel EOS SL2 and I have a picture that I was submitting to an exhibit and the pixels under properties for this image is 3555 x 3983 pixels.  I used GIMP to confirm that the dpi for my 8 x 10 printed picture would be at least 300 dpi and it should be based on the conversion of pixels to dpi (3555/300 = 11.85 & 3983/300 = 13.28).  Basically I should be able to print up to an 11 x 13 picture with this image and still get a 300 dpi quality print.  However, when I received my printed image, it just doesn't look as good as it did on my screen, which I understand is 72 DPI.  I am not sure why my picture does not look as good when printed.  What am I missing?  Could it be related to my background blur or something else I am not considering?  I ordered my print from an online source and had it mailed to me, so I am not processing/printing images myself.  Can anyone provide any insight into what I might be missing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@debaroo wrote:

Sounds l8ke I need to consider purchasing a post editor and my own photo printer.  Currently I do not have either.  What would be one of the best post editors for me to use that is not too expensive?  I am willing to spend a little more if it is beneficial.  

Also, what photo printer should I consider purchasing?  

I like lustre rather than glossy prints most of the time.  When submitting wildlife and flora photos for exhibits is one usually preferred over the other?  I have been submitting lustre to our local art gallery and all they have required is 300 dpi.

One last question, as it sounds like I have quite a bit to learn.  I have been considering getting a journal subscription to help with my leaning curve, but can anyone recommend any good photography classes that I can take online or that are offered as a camp for learning?  I have found a local photography group that meets once a month that I plan on join8ng.

Thanks for all the replies.  

If you want to start getting into post editing of your own images start with the free Canon Digital Photo Professional. You can download it at the canon support site for your camera.

There are a myriad of free phtot education videos on YouTube. No need to pay when starting out.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

There are an infinite number of things that may be missing.

First your screen may or may not be 72 dpi, that is just an average number. Apple Retina screens are much higher resolution.

Next you generally need to sharpen for print output, and that depends on the printer.

I have double checked and my Microsoft Surface is 72 DPI for screen and I have downloaded the Canon Digital Photo Professional app to see if sharpen will help. Thanks

"I have double checked and my Microsoft Surface is 72 DPI ..."

Printers have DPI. Monitor screens do not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I think output sharpening is what is off for you. You need a top-off pass of sharpening for the specific printer.  Also the size of the radius is important of the sharpening. Well focused images require a sharpening radius of 1.0 or less.  OFF (out of focus) areas might require a sharpening radius of more than 1.0+. Your radius almost never needs a greater than 2.0 radius.

You can and should apply sharpening selectively on especially important prints. These are Photoshop settings but I suspect all post editors have similar abilities. If you are using Lightroom one of the last steps in the Export function is Output sharpening.

The 72 dpi you see is a default value and has nothing to do with your monitor. Also keep in mind, dpi is a print specification.  It is almost impossible to judge whether an image is correctly sharpened for a given print by viewing it on your computer screen.  In fact correct sharpening can make the monitor image look contrasty. I do my own printing on a Canon Pixma Pro 100 dedicated photo printer.  I almost always have to make each print twice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

FIY: DPI values are often used by software on computers for the sake of displays.

e.g. on macOS, with an iMac Pro (Retina 5K display), any screenshots I make are marked as 144 DPI.  These will show up appropriately sized when I open them on this Mac.  If I edit them to be 72 DPI (pixel data exactly the same), the image will be displayed twice wide and twice tall and will no longer look as crisp.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Sounds l8ke I need to consider purchasing a post editor and my own photo printer.  Currently I do not have either.  What would be one of the best post editors for me to use that is not too expensive?  I am willing to spend a little more if it is beneficial.  

I like lustre rather than glossy prints most of the time.  When submitting wildlife and flora photos for exhibits is one usually preferred over the other?  I have been submitting lustre to our local art gallery and all they have required is 300 dpi.

One last question, as it sounds like I have quite a bit to learn.  I have been considering getting a journal subscription to help with my leaning curve, but can anyone recommend any good photography classes that I can take online or that are offered as a camp for learning?  I have found a local photography group that meets once a month that I plan on join8ng.

@debaroo wrote:

If you want to start getting into post editing of your own images start with the free Canon Digital Photo Professional. You can download it at the canon support site for your camera.

There are a myriad of free phtot education videos on YouTube. No need to pay when starting out.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I have downloaded the Canon Digital Photo Professional and if I feel it does not meet my needs, I will look at purchasing Photoshop or Lightroom. Thanks for all the advise. I think I will see if using Sharpen helps while still using Costco Photo Center as my photo processing center and if not, perhaps try another photo printer.

@debaroo wrote:
I have downloaded the Canon Digital Photo Professional and if I feel it does not meet my needs, I will look at purchasing Photoshop or Lightroom. Thanks for all the advise. I think I will see if using Sharpen helps while still using Costco Photo Center as my photo processing center and if not, perhaps try another photo printer.

What need do you feel that DPP does not address? It's not the most user friendly product out there, and it doesn't have all the special tools that Lightroom has, but for a first time processor it is very capable.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements