cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help, my T6i isn't recording audio with external Mics!

rickyil
Apprentice

For a couple months now my Canon EOS T6i hasn't been able to record audio using any external mic, regardless of settings on the camera or mic. The setup I'm currently trying to make work is the T6i connected to DXA-SLR PURE, which is connecting my AT2020 via xlr cable.

I'm pretty sure that the problem isn't the mic because when I record in Adobe Audition through my Xenyx802, the AT2020 is working fine. I'm also pretty confident that the DXA-SLR PURE isn't the problem because when the T6i has a typical Blue Yeti plugged in it also doesn't work now, despite it having worked fine in the past.

And for good measure I sent the T6i in for repairs, telling them about my specific problem. Canon emailed me saying they couldn't find anything physically wrong with the camera. In the paper work they claimed that they would "Clean and check all functions and repair to good working order." I just got my camera back and it's still not working. I don't know what to do. The work I do with the camera requires an external mic, but I'm not gonna send it back to them just for them to do the exact same thing as before.

What can I do? What are my options?

5 REPLIES 5

John_
Authority

Canon should have checked the external microphone input using an actual microphone, whether they did or not I don't know. Does the camera record audio using the built-in microphone? If you can get your hands on another known, working microphone with a 3.5mm end I would try that. Repair shops, take your pick, are not usually willing to admit they missed something. If the camera does not record sound with the built-in microphone either then I would check in the settings if audio is disabled which, between you and then Canon checking the camera is not likely. The first thing you have to nail down does it work with the built-in or another known working microphone.

It records just fine with the built in mic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you see anything on the VU meter?

Yes, The meter reads just fine. There is no audio being recorded and its driving me nuts. Checked it with 2 different mics and both show up on the UV meter.

KGottfried
Apprentice

Did you ever get an answer?

Announcements