cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pictures Very Dark

scusick
Contributor

Hello

I am a father who takes pictures of his 4 kids, I am no where near a professional.

That said, I have always used the Auto setting on the camera.  Up to 2 weeks ago, this worked perfectly fine.  In the last 2 weeks every other picture is very dark.  The ones that are not dark, are perfect.  So weird.  So dark i can not even use.  However I am 100% sure the flash is going off.

I am curious if one of my kids maybe touched a setting?

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Steve

16 REPLIES 16

Danny

Hi, Steve!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and midnight ET (5 AM to 9 PM PT) and Saturdays from 10 AM to 8 PM ET (7 AM to 5 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

EOS Rebel T3i

The only real details are every other picture is dark.  I am using the auto setting A+.  I see the flash working.

Thanks in advance for your support

Steve

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am curious if one of my kids maybe touched a setting?

Any Ideas?"  Yes of course!

Reset the camera.  In the Menu clear all settings.  But I suspect the flash is not going off on all your shots.  If the room is dark enough it takes some time for it to recharge.  If you shoot rather quickly, the flash may not have had time enough to charge.

Sometimes using the Green Square you can confuse it, if it saw a brigth light in the room and assummed it was all that way.

Examples would be nice if you could u/l a couple (good and bad) with exif intatct.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I cant find the reset setting in the Menu if you can assist please.

I can 100% see the flash go.  maybe it igoes, but not working?

and this worked perfectly for months, and all of a sudden it changed.

Another interesting thing I just noticed.  The good ones are like 7 and 8 MB.  The bad ones are only 3-4 MB.  Could that be a hint as to the problem?

Let me know if these attachment helps.  

Thanks in advance

Steve

Steve,

Please, "Examples would be nice if you could u/l a couple (good and bad) with exif intatct."  Smiley Happy

Your camera may just have a "Clear All Settings" selection.  And a "Clear All Personal Settings" selection.  Both, or either, will be in the Tools tab.

EB

Can you see them here?

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0OJT7Y2myrQfk9FNkdQNktzaEVQN3lzY3NucURTWXhmNDhEdGxtckVGR2Nn...

The different size makes me think that has something to do with it.

Yes I can see them but the exif has been stripped like Tim Campbell indicated it could be.  Without it it really isn't anything but a few guesses.

Can you u/l directly yo this forum?  Do you have a post editor on your computer?  It may have come free with the camera.

EB

How about i just list the info, maybe that will work.  

I can not thank you all enough for all this help!

BAD:

Camera:Canon EOS REBEL T3i
Lens:Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Shot at 28 mm (shot wide open)
Exposure:Auto exposure, Program AE, 1/64 sec, f/4, ISO 400
Flash:On, Fired
Focus:AI Focus AF, with a depth of field of from 1.82 m to 1.13 m.
AF Area Mode: Auto
Date:July 28, 2015   8:01:37AM (timezone not specified)
(2 hours, 15 minutes, 22 seconds ago, assuming image timezone of US Pacific)
File:5,184 × 3,456 JPEG (17.9 megapixels)   
3,809,645 bytes (3.6 megabytes)
Color Encoding:WARNING: Color space tagged as sRGB, without an embedded color profile. Windows and Mac browsers and apps treat the colors randomly.

Good

Camera:Canon EOS REBEL T3i
Lens:Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Shot at 28 mm (shot wide open)
Exposure:Auto exposure, Program AE, 1/64 sec, f/4, ISO 400
Flash:On, Fired
Focus:AI Focus AF, with a depth of field of from 1.82 m to 1.13 m.
AF Area Mode: Auto
Date:July 28, 2015   8:01:36AM (timezone not specified)
(2 hours, 16 minutes, 59 seconds ago, assuming image timezone of US Pacific)
File:5,184 × 3,456 JPEG (17.9 megapixels)   
7,560,691 bytes (7.2 megabytes)
Color Encoding:WARNING: Color space tagged as sRGB, without an embedded color profile. Windows and Mac browsers and apps treat the colors randomly.

Bizarre... they both show the identical exposure settings of:

Auto exposure, Program AE, 1/64 sec, f/4, ISO 400.

But then in the filesize... both indicate same resolution & JPEG and "17.9 megapixels"... but one indicates it saved to disk at 3.6 MB and the other saved to disk at 7.2 MB.  That part seems a bit odd.

But as the exposure data reads the same, then it should look the same (unless the lighting was changing on you between shots.)   Were you in a sitatuion where lights were changing?

One other possibility... 

It's possible to point the camera at one area, half-press (and hold) the shutter button (this locks in the metering) and then point the camera at a different subject before fully pressing the shutter to take the shot.  If you were do this, then you'd get the "metering" locked in from the first subject.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements