cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos taken with EOS Rebel T5i has lines at the edges.

piechart14
Apprentice

The photos I have taken with EOS Rebel T5i has lines, particularly at the edges of subjects, when viewed at 200% resolution. I have attached a photo at 100% and 200% for your review.

I have taken this photo in natural light, using a tripod, with EF-S 18-55 IS II kit lens. Focal length: 18mm, photography mode: Aperture priority  mode. I have not used the flash.

Except for reducing the size of the photo, in PS, I have not edited the photo. The lines are visible in RAW and JPEG.

Please help to resolve this issue. Thanks!

Photo at 100%

mung_no_zoom.jpg

Photo at 200%

mung_zoom_200.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

At 200% resolution, you're most likely going to see a lot unflattering things.

If you are referring to how the individual caper berries(?) seem to be outlined with dark and light fringes, then what you're seeing is a distortion that has most likely been caused by your lens.  Better lenses can still produce this type of fringing, but it will not be as pronounced as it is in this example.  Some expensive lenses seemingly have no fringing distortions, whatsoever.

Creating distortion along edges of high contrast, such as along the edges of the outline of your berries, is a common form of distortion for lenses.  Many lenses will discolor it, towards either purple or green.  It is possible that your camera's firmware may have tried to clean it up, resulting in light and dark fringing.

Your EF-S 18-55mm IS II kit lens is an older design, and not one of Canon's best offerings.  It is simply a lens to get you started using your camera. 

The good news is that many types of lens distortions can be minimized, if not fully removed, through post processing software.  The DPP software, Digital Photo Professional, that should have come with your camera is able to perform moderate lens correction on images.  The correction is customized for each of Canon's various lenses.  The model number of the camera and lens of each image is stored within the photo's metadata.  Your computer running DPP would simply need an internet connection in order to be able download correction data for your lens. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Usually chromatic aberration fringing would be purple or green as you say. This is dark. Could it be some kind of sharpening being over applied?  But he says he has applied no post processing, and it happens in RAW too.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

RAW files can't be viewed until they are converted. Depending on the software used to view there may also be excessive default sharpening applied as part of the conversion. 

IMHO ebiggs1 is correct - zooming in on that small an area of the image and then enlarging to 200% is going to challenge even the best gear. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@ScottyP wrote:

Usually chromatic aberration fringing would be purple or green as you say. This is dark. Could it be some kind of sharpening being over applied?  But he says he has applied no post processing, and it happens in RAW too.

As Ernie pointed out, 100% is at the pixel level. As I said, zooming to 200% can produce all sorts of ugly stuff.

IMG_4221.web.jpg

The above shot was taken with a 6D and an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens.  Now look at it when I zoom in too close.

Original_0009.Cropped.jpg

When you zoom further, then artifacting distortions can begin to appear.  Edges that should be smooth color gradients can become hard edged transitions from one color to another.  I also suspect that the camera's firmware is performing color correction and noise reduction, contributing to the effect.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

All DSLRs have a limit to what they can produce.  You have exceeded yours!  You will need better gear if you need crops in the 200%+ range which in most cases is considered excessive. 100% is pixel level.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements