cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos have disappeared from my Canon T3i.

Dprabhu1
Contributor
Hello,
I bought a new Canon T3i and used it for the forts time in Paris in July. Now I'm downloading the photos onto my computer only to see that the pictures have disappeared. Can you please help?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I doubt it's the camera & as long as you stop using the card until you've run a recovery program on it YES get another card so you can keep shooting. It's always a good idea to have extra cards on hand. Here's the link to a free recovery program Transcend supplies.

http://www.transcend-info.com/support/DlCenter/DLSoftware.asp?SID=4

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

In the future, I advise that you transfer the files from the camera (either by USB connection with the camera or by a device that will read your SD card) directly to the computer drive. Once confirmed that the files are in a single folder, you can feel safe about transfering them to a storage device, like a flash drive, so that they can be conveniently carried about. The original files should remain on the computer drive.

I think you should get another SD card because from where I'm sitting, I'm not sure what's going on with your card or camera. It might be necessary to replace your card and it might be necessary to repair your camera. I have no idea. First things first. Protect your pictures.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

cicopo
Elite

Can you see them on the camera's LCD? If so how are you doing the download? Card reader or cable between camera & computer. The more you can tell us the better we can help BUT for now DO NOT re use the memory card. Re use may overwrite files that you need.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

No I cannot see them on the camera display as well as the computer. I am using a USB cable to download photos from the camera. And the funny part is that at first only about 50 photos were missing. After I downloaded all the photos from the camera onto a flash drive, now 200 photos are missing. I haven't used the camera after the trip. Photos between July 16 and July 29 are intact. Photos clucked partly on July 29 and entirely on July 30 are missing.

If you used the USB to download, where did you save the files to?

To flash drives.

@Dprabhu1 wrote:
No I cannot see them on the camera display as well as the computer. I am using a USB cable to download photos from the camera. And the funny part is that at first only about 50 photos were missing. After I downloaded all the photos from the camera onto a flash drive, now 200 photos are missing. I haven't used the camera after the trip. Photos between July 16 and July 29 are intact. Photos clucked partly on July 29 and entirely on July 30 are missing.

Sounds like you may have done a "Move" instead of a "Copy".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I do not see them on the flash drive as well.

It was never there in the camera even before copying the files into the flash drive.

Did the download to the flash drive go smoothly or was it interrupted?

It went smoothly. I had to use 5 different flash drives to fit 500 photos.
Announcements