cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos have a line down middle.

dudany
Apprentice

Hi, I have a canon rebel t3i and my pictures are coming out with a line down the middle.  One side is lighter than the other.  I thought it was just the screen, but when I print my pictures the line appears with half of the photo being darker/lighter.  Do I need a new lens?Please help.

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority
Are you using flash? If so, is it the one on the camera, or is it a Speedlite in the hot shoe?

If the flash is not sync-ing correctly with the shutter, you may get that, as the shutter is really just a rectangular opening that travels horizontally in front of the sensor. If the opening passes part of the picture before the flash fires then half the picture will not get light from the flash.

I once had that happen when my Speedlite flash had slid loose in the shoe so it was not talking well with the camera.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

amfoto1
Authority

Show us a couple sample images. We need more info to give any useful advice.

Could be a problem with flash, faulty memory card, image download issue, failing shutter or imaging sensor going bad.

It's unlikely to be a problem with the lens.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

LINEDOWNMIDDLEONRIGHT.jpg

I have many examples of the line that goes down to the right middle...

linedownmiddleagain.jpg

What camera? You're evidently not the OP from three years ago, so we have no reason to suppose that it's a T3i.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kpdickens
Apprentice

I have a Powershot SX10 that has this same problem. A great camera that is now worthless. Is there an answer yet for this?

Hello kpdickens, 

With regards to service inquiries for the PowerShot SX10 IS, I'm afraid to say it's out of service life and not eligible for repair.  

Since we're unable to service it another option would be the Canon Upgrade Program. The Canon Upgrade Program allows you to replace your non-functioning product.  All refurbished equipment offered through this program carries a full one year limited warranty.

If you'd like to take part in the Canon Upgrade Program please call our Pre-Sales and Accessories department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Please have the serial number of your product at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements