cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Override auto lens detect on T7i?

ehammarlund
Contributor

Is there a way to fool the camera into thinking I have a longer lens mounted?  I ask because that would result in a higher minimum shutter speed w/ "Auto ISO"

In other words, can I force it somehow to think it that my shorter lenses are all 135mm?  I know that information is hiding somewhere.

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Only by putting an adapter between the camera and the lens that would lie to the camera. The lens reports the current focal length, which is how zooms work.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ehammarlund wrote:

Is there a way to fool the camera into thinking I have a longer lens mounted?  I ask because that would result in a higher minimum shutter speed w/ "Auto ISO"

In other words, can I force it somehow to think it that my shorter lenses are all 135mm?  I know that information is hiding somewhere.

Again, I suggest that you read your instruction manual.  Learn how to use Manual mode, where you can set any shutter speed that you want.  

Are you familiar with the “ Exposure Triangle “?  If not, then Google it.  You can set the camera to control all three legs of the exposure triangle, any two legs, any one leg, or no Automatic control, at all.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hey, don't blame a guy for trying a workaround 😉 what would life be if you couldn't hack stuff?

Yes, I know how to expose things and I understand the exposure triangle.  I'll play around more with manual mode.  Most of the time I'm shooting at a fixed aperture w/ a prime, perhaps that will work. 

When not, there's only one wheel control and three things to change.   Any tips for button assignment? For example, I can see wanting to set

1) Auto ISO and auto exposure

2) Wheel assigned to control shutter speed

3) Button which, when pushed, will temporarily make wheel control aperture

I have only had the camera for a couple of days, it's very different from my d200; I'm still working on how to do this stuff.

"I have only had the camera (T7i) for a couple of days, it's very different from my d200"

You cannot compare these two cameras in the same sentence.  They bare no semblance except they are both cameras.  CCD vs CMOS for instance.  8 or 10 MP (I forget?) sensor vs a 24 MP sensor and on and on.

BTW, you can tape off certain contacts on the lens that tell the T7i what lens is attached.  Try full manual mode and auto ISO.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"BTW, you can tape off certain contacts on the lens that tell the T7i what lens is attached."

Also, BTW, I do not recommend you do this.  Just that it is possible.  That is why I didn't mention which contact(s) to tape off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ehammarlund wrote:

When not, there's only one wheel control and three things to change.   Any tips for button assignment? For example, I can see wanting to set

1) Auto ISO and auto exposure

2) Wheel assigned to control shutter speed

3) Button which, when pushed, will temporarily make wheel control aperture

I have only had the camera for a couple of days, it's very different from my d200; I'm still working on how to do this stuff.

Once again, my advice is to sit down and read the instruction manual.  The T7i has a limited amount of button programming.  There is a button on the back of the camera labeled as “Av”.  That button allows you to use the Main Wheel to adjust aperture.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements