cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overexposure issue with SL1/100D

Artemiy
Contributor

Hey everyone!

I just bought an SL1/100D, for now I use it with a stock 18-55 mm DC III lens. I seem to have an overexposure issue as I go from 18 to 55 mm, this is illustrated well by these two images below. I shot this in P mode but it's the same in auto or Av.

At 18 mm, the camera sets 1/60 s exposure and ISO 800. At 55 mm, it bumps to 1/30 s and ISO 6400. Is this normal behaviour for SL1/100D with this lens? Or do I have a faulty camera?

The diaphragm does work correctly, I tested it. I have also run through all four metering modes, swiched the lighting optimizer on and off, etc.

Would appreciate your advise guys.

Thanks!

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

14 REPLIES 14

@Artemiy wrote:

As I wrote in my previous post, yes, exposure compensation is 0. I did already try to cover up the viewfinder when shooting in live view mode, makes no difference... 

Sorry, I passed over that post for some reason. 

Based on what you posted I'd be inclined to suspect the camera.  I can't think of anything that would cause this much of a difference.  You can either open up a dialog with Canon, or if it's still in the return window simply send it back and get a new one.  I'd lean toward the latter just because it's quicker.

Thanks for the help everyone! I just bought it yesterday so it won't be a problem to exchange it.

Sorry you had a bad experience with a new camera...  I can imagine the disappointment.  Unfortunately all mechanical things can fail.  I haven't used an SL1, but it looks like a fun little camera, I hope you like your second version better.

Welcome to the community.

Yes, it's pretty bad since we're leaving for a two-month vacation this Friday... I really hope that my store can sort this out quickly! But I will make sure to check two cameras (mine and the replacement) side by side.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Considering that it's new and you've gone into the menus to perform a factory reset, I'm thinking this is likely the fault of the camera -- not in the nature of a Canon SL1 -- but something wrong with that particular SL1.

For example... if something is is wrong with the mirror and/or somehow blocking the transmission of enough light into the metering array, then the camera could *think* it's not getting enough light and it needs to compensate.

When you use "live view", the imaging sensor does the metering and focusing.  When you use the viewfinder (normal use), the reflex mirror is bouncing light into the AF sensor array as well as into the 63 zone metering array.  

I'm guessing something is failing to bounce the light into the meter or something is wrong with the meter which has desensitised it.  

You may want to contact Canon or if it really is brand new, just exchange it -- by my reading, it sounds like you have not done anything that should result in the over-exposure.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements