cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overexposure in Automatic Mode (Canon Rebel t5i)

zachgoll
Contributor

I do not remember this happening in the past, but all of a sudden, the automatic mode on my Rebel t5i overexposes everything when I take a photo.  

Here is what I have already done:

• Factory reset all my settings
  • Compared a JPG vs. RAW photo - They were exactly the same, which means the image processor in my camera is fine

From what I understand, exposure compensation and metering settings do not impact the photos taken in auto mode, so I am looking for possible explanations that do not include these two subjects (assuming my understanding is correct).

Thanks!!

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Your understanding may be slightly off the mark.  If you can adjust exposure compensation then you will affect how RAW files are captured.  Likewise, metering mode can affect how the camera adjusts the exposure, which will also affect how RAW files are captured.

The default settings for metering is Evaluative Metering.  There are only a few reasons to change from that setting.  The need to use AEC can be pretty rare, too.  It is only needed under lighting conditions that stretch the limits of the camera's performance.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Okay, so you are saying that even though I'm only shooting in Auto mode, my exposure compensation will still affect the RAW photos that I take in that mode?  Would I be correct in saying that SINCE IM SHOOTING IN AUTO, my metering setting and exposure compensation setting will have NO EFFECT on the end result regardless of whether I'm shooting RAW or JPG?

If it helps, my manual settings are set to:

- Evaluative metering 

- 0 exposure compensation

Thanks!!

@zachgoll wrote:

Okay, so you are saying that even though I'm only shooting in Auto mode, my exposure compensation will still affect the RAW photos that I take in that mode?  Would I be correct in saying that SINCE IM SHOOTING IN AUTO, my metering setting and exposure compensation setting will have NO EFFECT on the end result regardless of whether I'm shooting RAW or JPG?

If it helps, my manual settings are set to:

- Evaluative metering 

- 0 exposure compensation

Thanks!!

If you are  in Green Square A+ mode you cannot set EC or metering. So yes, even if you have made selections in another mode when you shift to Green Square the other settings are ignored and are set to the default of "0" and Evaluative.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"From what I understand, exposure compensation and metering settings do not impact the photos taken in auto mode"

The end result is the same, but your understanding is incorrect.

If you are in A+ Green Square mode then Exposure Compensation cannot be selected and metering mode cannot be changed from Evaluative.

If you are in Program AE mode ("P" mode) correct exposure is automatically calculated but metering mode can be chnaged and exposure compensation can be applied, so that can affect your end photo result.

However, resetting settings should cancel EC and restore metering to Evaluative (page 214 of your manual).

Can you provide more information about the conditions you are shooting in?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

In AUTO MODE, I have shot in various settings whether it be artificial light, a bright sunny day, or even a cloudy day.  All of the images come out overexposed.

The only way I can take a good picture is by putting the camera in manual mode and adjusting aperture,shutter speed, iso for each scene.

I would like to be able to shoot in auto so I do not have to adjust these settings so frequently.

Thanks!

@zachgoll wrote:

In AUTO MODE, I have shot in various settings whether it be artificial light, a bright sunny day, or even a cloudy day.  All of the images come out overexposed.

The only way I can take a good picture is by putting the camera in manual mode and adjusting aperture,shutter speed, iso for each scene.

I would like to be able to shoot in auto so I do not have to adjust these settings so frequently.

Thanks!

This is confusing to me; I cannot explain.

What you could try is removing the camera battery, switch the camera on and operate the shutter button.

Reinstall battery and turn camera on.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@zachgoll wrote:

Thanks!

This is confusing to me; I cannot explain.

What you could try is removing the camera battery, switch the camera on and operate the shutter button.

Reinstall battery and turn camera on.

By doing that with the battery, is it resetting the shutter in some way?  Given there is no obvious solution to this one, would you say that there is a chance that either my shutter is stuck and/or my sensor is damaged?

Thanks again for the help.

Since camera functions properly in M mode I would say there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the camera.

I do know from various web postings that when folks have had strange behaviors the reboot process I described has sometimes resolved - I don't know what the success rate.

It's a simple thing to try. If it doesn't work then I guess a trip to a service center would be reuquired, unless another poster can identify the probelma nd suggest a fix.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"Since camera functions properly in M mode I would say there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the camera."

I tend to not agree with that. It eliminates too much of the guts of the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements