cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLD Camera upgrade

digitaldood
Apprentice

I have an OLD Canon Rebel XT with one lens that is an EFS 18-55mm and another which is an EF 75-300mm. I'm looking at upgrading, and was looking at the Canon 70D. Since both are CS cameras, do you know if these existing lenses will work on the 70D and / or should I even worry about trying to utilize them with a newer camera, and just get all new lenses too?  Or should I just bite the bullet and get a full frame camera and new lenses?  I'm mainly wanting the new camera to be for landscape and astrophotagraphy.  With the existing camera only being 10MP, I know I will pretty much get about double that or more with a new camera.  Trying to keep it around the price point of the 70D too, so that probably makes it a little more difficult.  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Since the 70D has an APS sized sensor, your Rebel's EF-S lenses will work fine. The improved IQ of the 70D might show you some deficiencies in your lenses, especially the 75-300, so you may need to upgrade at some point.

Frankly, we've seen enough complaints about 70D's frying components on their motherboards to make me reluctant to recommend it. I guess I'd go with a 7D Mark II, an 80D, or even <gulp!> a T6i or T7i.

And I guess I wouldn't urge you to go full-frame, given your budgetary preferences. There are FF bodies (the 6D and 6D2) that are arguably affordable; but you'd need new lenses, and FF lenses aren't cheap.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'd go with a 7D Mark II, an 80D, or even <gulp!> a T6i or T7i"

A Rebel T7i will be a huge upgrade for you and it will not be a total stranger to you.  Plus there has been some nice upgrades to the lenses you have.

The 7D Mk II is a pro level camera and if that is the route you want to go, it is a fantastic idea.  You will benefit from the STM lenses, don't forget.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@digitaldood wrote:

I have an OLD Canon Rebel XT with one lens that is an EFS 18-55mm and another which is an EF 75-300mm. I'm looking at upgrading, and was looking at the Canon 70D.

Trying to keep it around the price point of the 70D too, so that probably makes it a little more difficult.  Thanks!

I agree with Bob about the 70D.  I also agree on the 80D.  Here's a great deal on the 80D with the 18-55mm SM lens.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished

I have bought two of them, and have given them away to relatives. This package is the "best buy" in the Canon DSLR lineup, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements