cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number sequence out of whack!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Attended a dog show and took 144 photos. Downloaded them from the card to my laptop. OK, so far. When I went to view them. the were interspersed with photos that my wife too weeks ago. Her photos would be IMG.XXXX.jpg but my photos would be IMG.XXXX,jpg(1). Any ideas what happened? Need to check the camera numbering sequence,  Canon T7?

Thanks in advance. BTW, going back to the show tomorrow. Show was in a covered arena with open sides so I had to play with settings. Good experience as I had to watch settings and adjust over/under exposure, f/stop, lens speed, ISO, etc.

Hate to go through all 144 and transfer to a new file. Should have made the file before downloading the card. Live and learn.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
43 REPLIES 43

Your .CR2 files are showing as icons, as you said. I am quite confident that if you download the extension I told you about you will see real images.

Here is more info than you need to know, but it might help others.

Windows 7/8 had a codec that allowed viewing RAW files. MS stopped updating it in 2014, but it covered the higher end Canon cameras from the 2012 time frame like EOS 1D X and earlier (like Mark IV).

When W10 came out, and folks purchased brand new from the factory W10 computers they didn't have any RAW codec. There were some third party software poducts like 

Folks that updated their computers from W7/8 to W10 (as compared to folks who purchased a brand new from the factory W10 computer) carried over the W7/8 codec. (Like me).

I had no trouble viewing my 1D X RAW files in W10, as well as all my earlier 1D cameras. When I purchased my 1D X Mark III all of a sudden I couldn't see files, just icons (like you).

That is when I researched the issue. I learned that MS had issued the extension in early 2019 and it covered cameras from early 2019 backwards, as well as .CR3 files.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

My old desktop died several years ago. My son suggested I get up-to-date and get a laptop. Not sure when I bought this Dell Inspiron 1500 but have had it quite a while. I have attended a few writer's conferences. The laptop is handy to view emails. If I didn't do this daily, I would have 237 emails when i got back home. My wife does the tour things with others and has taken some nice photos...we download them at the hotel in the evening and view them. Maybe I need to let her take the photos? Her camera is strictly jpg or let her use mine T7.

John, thanks for the info and will d/l the extension that was listed.

To all: Many thanks for your patience, suggestions, critique, and taking time to view my posts and reply.

John

" I have two emails."

Doesn't matter, PSE can/will do it. You better do as John suggested and get the add-on. He usually knows about this stuff. And, it appears you are resistant to using an editor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was going to send an email to one of the emails. Played with it last night but discovered I wasn't completely following the Yellow Brick Road.  Will work on it some today. The editing factor is something totally new and I realize that I need to spend time to learn to use PSE. I see so many capabilities with it.

Thanks.

John

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
As Ernie said, if you are going to start selling professionally you need to shoot in RAW and use a dedicated photo editing tool. Not the MS Photo Editor.

You have two - DPP and PSE. Pick one and stick with it. DPP is free, but now that you have purchased PSE you should use that. Down the road, should you need to, you can graduate to Photoshop and all your work will transfer.

With your grandson’s help you can configure the computer so that PSE is the default program to open .CR2 files. Then you can look at the images in your folder and when you see one you like double click it and it will open in PSE.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John, am I reading that PSE and Photoshop are two different editing means?

Fall break is coming up so I can spend some time with my grandson to arrange my waterfowl in a linear configuration. I can let him read through this post and replies to get an idea of what is needed.

Thanks.

John

Tintype, I use PSE 2020. It could have been named Photoshop Lite. It is a GOOD editor and the Organizer, if you use it will display your RAW photos. You can make a quick jump from the Organizer to the Editor with a right-click. There are inexpensive plug-ins available that will unlock most of the features of the full Photoshop if you need it. (Elements+)

What version of PSE do you have? In order to edit RAW photos with PSE, your EOS Rebel T7 requires Adobe Camera Raw v10.3 minimum. So there is a chance that your ACR would need to be updated depending on the version of PSE that you have.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

PSE 2021.

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

PSE 2021.

PSE 2021 shipped with ACR v12.3 and an update bumped it to v13.0. You should be good to edit your RAW photos in PSE.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

Thanks for the info.  It's a learning experience.

John
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements