cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number sequence out of whack!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Attended a dog show and took 144 photos. Downloaded them from the card to my laptop. OK, so far. When I went to view them. the were interspersed with photos that my wife too weeks ago. Her photos would be IMG.XXXX.jpg but my photos would be IMG.XXXX,jpg(1). Any ideas what happened? Need to check the camera numbering sequence,  Canon T7?

Thanks in advance. BTW, going back to the show tomorrow. Show was in a covered arena with open sides so I had to play with settings. Good experience as I had to watch settings and adjust over/under exposure, f/stop, lens speed, ISO, etc.

Hate to go through all 144 and transfer to a new file. Should have made the file before downloading the card. Live and learn.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
43 REPLIES 43

"One place can have good photos but moving a bit can bring in more outdoor light. This afternoon, I changed from cloudy to shade and found some improvement."

Sorry, my friend, but those are excuses not reasons. A photographer adjusts to different reasons for exposure changes."

Let me explain my comment. The arena is oriented north-south so there is lots of light coming in the swast/west sides, depending on the time of day. At the north end is a tan building which acts as a reflector. Yes, I did move to keep the ambient light at my back or, at least, over my shoulder. I put my settings as I needed or felt I needed. As I said, this was a learning experience for me plus reading your posts added to my "notebook."

MS Windows Extension- sounds like a winner but can I attach a photo to an email from there or do I have to change it to a jpg?

Thanks, again!

John

"I put my settings as I needed or felt I needed. As I said, this was a learning experience for me ..."

You just have the very common beginner's learning pangs. Keep doing it and eventually you will learn what is what and how is how.  The advice offered is just a stepping stone to get to that point faster.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"...  but can I attach a photo to an email from there or do I have to change it to a jpg?"

Do you mean right at the dog show? Or, do you mean after you get home and have u/l to your computer? If you are emailing a snapshot at the dog show use your iPhone. If it is at home, any editor will save you a properly sized jpg for sending in an email.

EB

Don't have an iPhone. I should have been more specific. D/L to the computer and attaching photos from the MS Photo Extension for email.

John

"... attaching photos from the MS Photo Extension for email."

Without actually saying it, I assumed you realized you need to stop using Explorer as you input software. Its time you moved to a editor of some sort. Now you don't have to do any actual editing if you don't want to but that is where your photos belong.

If you are emailing photos you need to make them for email unless, or FB, or Instagram, etc. Unless you are sending the final product. However it also should be sized properly for the intended final use.The dog sample you u/l here on the forum was 42x28 inches big. Is this your common practice to email like that?

EB

If I remember correctly you have PSE?  Use it for u/l to your computer. It will do everything you need and mostly do it automatically. DPP4 does it also but it is a little harder to get going than PSE is.

1. In the Organizer, select the photos you want to email to a friend.
  2. Open the Share panel and select Email Attachments (the photos).
  3. Choose a quality setting for the attachment and click Next. ... (allows you to make them a manageable size)
  4. Add recipients. ...
  5. Click Next.

Sometimes we make things harder than they need to be.

EB

I'll experiment with sending photos from PSE. I have two emails.

John

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Yeah, it is easy to get collisions with multiple Canons. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Tintype_18. Can you post a screenshot of what you see when you open the file folder containing your RAW images? Thanks.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

This is a screenshot for my Landscape file. The first ones in the file are jpg but others are jpg and CR2. This screen shot shows the mix of the two. I load the card in the side of my laptop,follow the sequence. I can let the photos go to the general Photo file or I can specify a certain folder as Landscape. Took a while to figure out how to do a screenshot. Let's hear it for Youtube! If this needs to go to another post, please do it. Have some other questions. TIA.

Screenshot (3).png

John
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements