cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Night Football Shooting-Need some help please

debnbill526
Contributor

Hi Everyone. I just purchased a Canon T6i and have a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Lens. I have to shoot my son's football game this Friday night, which will be under stadium lights.  I'm by no means a photographer, just a mom who likes to take lots of pictures. I try to learn as I go along. I would really appreciate any advice on settings I should be using to get some decent photos. I will be on field taking photos but I am not quite sure about what settings I should be using on this camera.  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.  

38 REPLIES 38

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
[EDIT]

When it comes to manually setting ISO, some Rebels only allow you to adjust ISO in full stops. The only [way] to set ISO in 1/3 stop increments is to use AEC, or set ISO to Auto. The camera can automatically set ISO in 1/3 stops, but some of the low end Rebels only allow [for manually] setting ISO in full stop increments.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
The settings will be easy. Use what I suggested and check the LCD on the back of the camera often. Make necessary adjustments if needed. Don’t mess with all the red for now.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Red = rest sorry I am on my lphone 😬
EB

eBiggs thanks for that list!

A common setting for example is ...........

Av set at f2.8

Auto ISO 

WB auto

Ai-servo

BBF

High speed continuous

jpg file format, yeah they don't use Raw

I had to look up what BBF meant, watched a couple you tubes on it and am glad I did

There were lots of other very informative posts on this topic for me to digest but yours, for me, is initially less overwhelming as well as a good starting point to build on.

@John_ wrote:

eBiggs thanks for that list!

A common setting for example is ...........

Av set at f2.8

Auto ISO 

WB auto

Ai-servo

BBF

High speed continuous

jpg file format, yeah they don't use Raw

I had to look up what BBF meant, watched a couple you tubes on it and am glad I did

There were lots of other very informative posts on this topic for me to digest but yours, for me, is initially less overwhelming as well as a good starting point to build on.

Look up Grant Atkinson on YouTube.

Thanks, Waddizzle will do!

@John_ wrote:

Thanks, Waddizzle will do!

He has only a few videos.  But, they are great explanations of how Canon cameras work.

Indeed! I watched 2 already

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
😊
EB
Announcements