cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user of a Cannon T3i

rcrane
Apprentice

When I set my dial to CA, then press the Q button half of my menu screen is covered by a box that says, " this function is not selectable in the current shooting mode."  Help?

1 REPLY 1

ScottyP
Authority

Hi, Rcrane.

Creative Auto mode is like a set of training wheels.  You can kind of control some things like depth of field (called "background blur" in this mode), etc., which you cannot control in full green-box Auto mode.  You do it using sliders, which Canon feels could help people ease into more full-control settings like Tv or Av or M. 

But you can't use the Q button, nor most other buttons, because that is where you would directly control the camera.  Even though I have a T3i, I am not 100% familiar with it, because I skipped it and just went straight into controlling the camera settings directly.

You don't really need CA mode.  If you are already understanding things like depth of field, then you are more than ready to jump over to Av mode.

How long have you had the camera?  Is this your first experience with DSLR's?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements