cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to this world. Rebel T6I ext mic and video questions

johnathansmith6
Contributor

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this world and just got a Rebel T6I Video Kit and looking to use it for my vlog... is it true that the ext mic only works on M mode?

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The camera does have to be in "M" in order to enable ext mic input.  I don't have a mic to test with.  After its enabled, put the camera back in "A" to test.  There is a "gain" .dB meter.  You'll see if it works in other modes.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I thanks thats what I been seeing.. can you give any tips to me? I am new with all this

I do more still photography than video.  Advice, depends on what you're shooting.  Buy a good quality tripod, or monopod.  Will help to make your vids look more professional.  Other advice, spend some time reading your manual.  Cameras are more complex than ever and there are troves of features buired in the menus.  The other thing to do, is review the menu options when the camera is in different shooting modes.  This gives you an understanding of what features you can manipulate based on shooting conditions.  Might sound silly, but I've also made little notes for myself.  This way you can see what worked and what didn't when reviewing your shots or footage at the end of the day.  Soon this becomes second nature and you'll get a feel of what settings to use depending on the weather, time of day, or type of lighting.  etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi guys!

I wanted to offer a bit of clarity, as the manual can be confusing to understand. Where the manual indicates "manual," and "automatic," it's referring to the microphone's attenuation (volume control). Whenever you attach an external mic, it should be given priority. Here is a snippet from page 251 of the manual: 

T6iMicrophone_Pg251.PNG

If you find that your supported mic isn't working as expected, please reach out to tech support at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). 

Hi Stephen,

I believe his question is in regards to "M" Manual on the mode dial.  From what i've gathered, you put the camers in "M" mode then choose your sound recording preference (Auto) or Manual).  You can then change the Mode dial to your shooting mode preference.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@johnathansmith6 wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this world and just got a Rebel T6I Video Kit and looking to use it for my vlog... is it true that the ext mic only works on M mode?

The only shooting mode where a microphone is used, either internal or external, is in “movie” mode.  The microphone is not used to shoot still photographs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

For the T6i, the "movie mode" is set with the power switch. The mode dial is still available for setting.

Announcements