cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the Canon family

CodyJayRoberts
Contributor

Hello,

I am new to the canon family, I have purchased the Canon rebel t5 with the 18-55mm lens kit. I have read the manuals and video tutorals on the canon website. I have purchased the camera as a hobby and to capture family memories. I am just looking ffor more tips that aren't on the manuals and video tutorials, I would like to take pictures at a basketball game but understand it would be difficult with the set up have. Are there any tips or sugestions to get the most out of the set up I have without purchasing new equipment until I am comfortable with the set-up I currently have?

thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The Rebel series is Canon's entry level DSLR product line, and the T5 is a less featured Rebel. It costs one-tenth of the flagship 1DX, so of course there are compromises. It's certainly not a horrible DSLR.

For family events, travel, landscapes it is certainly capable. High speed action and low light will be a challenge.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

You should probably poke around on the Canon Web site. I believe they have a number of videos on a variety of topics for users like you (and for more experienced users as well). Also, you can lurk here in the forums and see what questions get asked and answered.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ok will do thanks Bob.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Browse here - Canon Digital Learning Center - : http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/home/home.shtml

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks,

the next question i have "is the Rebel T5 a horible DSLR as most people claim or can quality pictures really come from this body?

thanks 

Cody

The Rebel series is Canon's entry level DSLR product line, and the T5 is a less featured Rebel. It costs one-tenth of the flagship 1DX, so of course there are compromises. It's certainly not a horrible DSLR.

For family events, travel, landscapes it is certainly capable. High speed action and low light will be a challenge.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ScottyP
Authority
If you do upgrade get new lenses first. Lenses make much more difference than do bodies.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

CodyJayRoberts
Contributor
Thanks ScottyP

Do you have any ideas on good lenses? I am mostly using my camera for family events sporting events portraits not stop much macro.

It all depends on budget.

One lens that is large and expensive but which would do Sports and portraits very well would be a 70-200 f/2.8l mk2.

A 24-105 f/4L can be found for only 700 if you look and would do all the things on your list.

An EF-s 17-55 f/2.8 would do portraits and events and
low light very well. It can be found for under $800. A great solution actually as its range is perfect for a crop body, going as wide as 17mm. You need that width on a crop because your camera multiplies lens focal lengths by 1.6x. I have one I used with crop and it was very sharp and great in low light.

Good luck!
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

First off, run do not walk away from the folks that tell you the T5 can't take great photos.  Yes, it may be an entry level camera but its ability to make good is still there.  It is still a Canon camera and shares some parts with the more costly versions.

Most of the time great pictures are because of the lens not the body.  And without question the person begind that lens and camera.  Also a mandatory part of great phoros is post processing with software like what comes with your Rebel or another fine addition like Photoshop Elements.

Probably the best buy in a Canon lens and often overlooked by some is the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM click here 

This is factoring in quality of build and IQ and price, this is a winner.

The best buy in a "L" level full on pro lens is EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM  click here

Make no mistake this is a professional quality lens in build, quality but at an affordable price.

A great lens can make a poor camera look good but a great camera will not help a poor lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements