cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Real Estate Photos

johnathansmith6
Contributor

I am new to real estate photos and most of the trianing I am watching and reading is telling me to use the followiing settings to start with in a room

ISO 320, 1/125 at f8.

My T6i cant do ISO 320! 😞

Should I use ISO 200 or ISO 400, next question for be what would the 1/125 need to be change to to have the same 

7 REPLIES 7

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I would bump it up to ISO 400. There really isn’t much difference. 

You can keep everything else the same as the ETTL Auto flash will be supplying the light to match your camera’s 1/125 and f/8 Manual settings. 

Do you have an ETTL flash?

Mike Sowsun

Yea but I was doing it in manual mode

@MikeSowsun wrote:

I would bump it up to ISO 400. There really isn’t much difference. 

You can keep everything else the same as the ETTL flash will be supplying the light to match your 1/125 and f/8 Manual settings. 

Dou you have an ETTL flash?

Did your “training” tell you to use Manual flash?

You can use the flash in Manual mode but it just means more work. Unless you have a flash meter, you will need to experiment with different flash power settings to match the light needed for each shot. 

Mike Sowsun

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@johnathansmith6 wrote:

I am new to real estate photos and most of the trianing I am watching and reading is telling me to use the followiing settings to start with in a room

ISO 320, 1/125 at f8.

My T6i cant do ISO 320! 😞

Should I use ISO 200 or ISO 400, next question for be what would the 1/125 need to be change to to have the same 

Did they also point out that you really do not need a flash for most real estate photos?  

Most real estate photos are static scenes, where nothing is moving.  All you really need for real estate photography is a tripod. Shoot using Av mode, with a stopped down aperture and ISO set to 100.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Scott Hargis is apparently one of the most respected real estate photographers in the US.  I suggest you do a search for his name and look at his publications and videos.  They are worth the effort - in the PDF book I have he takes you through lighting each kind of room

Similary if you have access to Lynda.com, which is an excellent tutorial service with videos covering almost every topic you can imagine, there is a series of excellent videos in the real estate section, again covering every room scenario.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

thanks. I got the book

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... you really do not need a flash for most real estate photos? "

Avoid using flash. It will only complicate your shots and they will look awful. Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements