cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New refurbished T5i

azspots
Apprentice

My T5i arrived the other day and have a question about the ISO. When I change the ISO on my SX40hs, and

am looking at the LED screen, it is VERY obvious when I change the ISO. On the T5i, it is barely obvious. Although

I do realize these are two quite different cameras, shouldn't it be equally as obvious when changing the ISO on

the T5i from, say, 100 to 3200?

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you looking at the LCD screen on the back?  Seems pretty "obivious" to me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am looking at the LCD screen on the back. Apparently, I'm missing

the "obvious", or I wouldn't have asked 😉

0001.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@azspots wrote:

My T5i arrived the other day and have a question about the ISO. When I change the ISO on my SX40hs, and

am looking at the LED screen, it is VERY obvious when I change the ISO. On the T5i, it is barely obvious. Although

I do realize these are two quite different cameras, shouldn't it be equally as obvious when changing the ISO on

the T5i from, say, 100 to 3200?

Some cameras have the ability to try to show you how the scene will actually be recorded. If that's what's happening here, and if you're relying on the camera's autoexposure capability, you wouldn't expect a change of ISO to have much of a visible effect, unless the lighting is so bad that available aperture and shutter speed corrections couldn't handle it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

With the camera in "manual" mode ("M" on the mode dial) -- and no other mode -- and if "Exposure Simulation" is enabled and you are using "Live view" mode (not the recommended way to use a DSLR camera -- much better to learn to look through the viewfinder and there are several reasons for this) then changing the ISO will have a noticeable visible effect on the brightness of the image you see on the LCD screen.

If all of the conditions above are not true, then you will not likely see any effect.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements