cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New memory card i bought not working on camera.

leito721
Apprentice

I bought a 64GB SanDisk Ultra 48MB/s SDXC10 and T1i says card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera

- I tried to go to the settings then format and it says "Cannot Format" Change card.

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Aside from having a bad card, there are two possibilities.  One, the "write protect" tab is in the "protected" position.  Two, the capacity of the memory card is too high for the camera to handle.

The Instruction Manual does not give recommended card specifications, curiously enough.  Other Rebel cameras state that cards should have a capacity of 32 GB, or less.  The cameras simply do not have the smarts to know how to perform a low level format on cards over a given size. 

You could try using your computer to peform a low level format on the card.  The card would need a FAT32 format, which is the default used by MS Windows on the most recent OS versions.  Now you need to perform a format in the camera to define the folder structure.  You do this by selecting format, but leaving the "low level format" box unchecked.

Rebel_T1i_LowLevelFormatting.PNG

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

A 64GB card would be SDXC type. 

I suspect the T1i is only SDHC compatible, which would be 32GB max. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I bought a 64GB SanDisk Ultra 48MB/s SDXC10 ..."

SDXC format is NOT backwards compatible with devices that only take SD (128MB to 2GB) or SDHC (4GB to 32GB) cards.   It won't fly Oriville. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I don't doubt that John and Ernie have hit the nail on the head. But before you give up and return the card, you might want to at least make sure that your T1i's firmware is at the latest rev level. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements