cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member needs help

lurechunker
Enthusiast

I am new to the forum and asking for help. Our granddaughter plays basketball and I would like to photograph her. I kayak and would like to photograph birds. Is the EOS 760D the camera for me? Other? What lens or lenses? How can I protect my equipment form damage from saltwater? Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@lurechunker wrote:
My 80D with 18-55 from Canon store will arrive tomorrow. I think I made a mistake by not getting the 28-135. Should I leave the 18-55 in the box and send it back? I'd like to start with an "all-round" lens and one long enough for back yard birds.

Do you mean 18-135, instead of 28-135?  The 18-135 lenses are pretty good.  BUT, they will likely cast a shadow when you try to use the flash.  I know that older 18-135mm lenses cast a major shadow on a T5, so I would expect a shadow on an 80D.  The 18-55mm lens has a 35mm equivalent of 29-88mm, which is pretty close to 24-70mm that is very popular for use with full frame camera bodies.

The  STM version of the 18-55mm is a really good lens.  I would hang on to it.  I can guarantee you that whatever plans you have for using the camera, you will find new scenarios to use it.  I would keep the 18-55mm, and pass on buying a 18-135, so that you can budget more money towards your birding lens.  If you can afford to do all of the above, then by all means, buy all of the lenses you want.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

@lurechunker wrote:

What about buying a used or refurbished lens from B&H?

I am not sure if I have seen any Canon refurbished gear at B&H, not in the last few years for sure.  If you want to buy Canon refurbished gear, then I would only recommend the Canon refurbished store.  They will give you a one year warranty, not just a  "guarantee" of some kind.  

I think B&H has a fairly good and objective rating system for their used gear.  I think much of it is a bit pricey, though.  Many times they will offer used gear that is rated "good" that has an asking price that is more than what is being offered in the Canon Refurbished Store.  

Check what the B&H guarantee and return policy might be for used gear.  I've bought a used tripod head and a "hi-hat" tripod from B&H, and I think I had a 15 day return window, and a 30 day guarantee.

Good judgement needs to exercised when buying used gear.  You must consider the source.  You must consider the return policy, for which B&H has a good reputation.  You must consider the cost/benefit of expensive gear without a warranty.  You must consider can the used gear be repaired, if needed in the near future.  

With used camera gear, there is always a risk of mold and mildew contamination.  Canon's refurbished gear has that new gear smell to it, so I think the contamination risk is small to non-existent with Canon.

[EDIT]. If what you want is out of stock at the Canon Refurbished Store, be patient.  Most of the items will be back in stock in a month, or two, or three.  The "L" series lenses can sell out very quickly.  

View solution in original post

314 REPLIES 314

@lurechunker wrote:
I ordered the 100-400 ll USM from the Canon store on 15 Mar. It has not yet shipped. Should I have bought the the lens with other stuff in a bundle from Amazon for the same price and had it in 2 days?

The weekend is in the way.  Hopefully, you should be able to track the package at near real time.  Holidays and weekends aside, in my experience, the Canon Online store always delivers in less than a week.   They are not as fast as my favorite NYC superstore, but the superstore warehouse is about 30 miles away from my house.  Canon will want a delivery signature for something as costly as that lens.  I typically pick up those types of packages at the local UPS store.  I have had some packages report as not yet shipped, while UPS is ringing my bell with the package.

BTW, I would never buy anything more valuable than a used paperback novel from Amazon.  I don't buy used paperback novels.  Amazon means well, but they simply cannot keep up with the integrity of all of their vendors.  Just as soon as they boot one vendor off, the vendor is back again under a new name.  I feel the same way about eBay.  I have listened to too many horror stories.  I know and have relatives who swear by them both.  No, thank-you.  I'll stick to ordering direclty from Canon or B&H.

I ordered the lens from the canon store on the 15th. It is now the 21st. I made two calls but have not yet received notice that the lens has been shipped. That is not acceptable. I will buy elsewhere from now on. I could have bought it at Digital Goja and had it the same day if willing to make the drive or two days later with free shipping. They are a canon authorized dealer.

I can make it very easy, never ever buy any phoyographic package from Amazon.  I have not seen one yet that was not junk.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The canon store has not yet shipped the lens that I ordered on the 15th. I may get it on the 27th but will not bet on it. B&H would have shipped it on the 15th, the same day I ordered it. No more canon store for me.

@lurechunker wrote:
I ordered the lens from the canon store on the 15th. It is now the 21st. I made two calls but have not yet received notice that the lens has been shipped. That is not acceptable. I will buy elsewhere from now on. I could have bought it at Digital Goja and had it the same day if willing to make the drive or two days later with free shipping. They are a canon authorized dealer.

"Digital Goja"?  Never heard of them, but that doesn't mean much.  I'm not looking for new Canon vendors.  I like the ones that I always use, as previously noted.  This week they're called "Digital Goja."  Last week, they were called "Digital Gotcha".  

My favorite carry-out restaurants has a sign on the wall behind the cash register.  "If you want fast food, then you don't want it here." 

I ordered and payed for the lens at the canon store on the 15th. It was not shipped until the 21st. Good service?

@lurechunker wrote:
I ordered and payed for the lens at the canon store on the 15th. It was not shipped until the 21st. Good service?

It was shipped about 3 business days after you placed your order, which is about average for many online retailers.  I guess this is why many of them offer some form of "express shipping" for an extra charge. 

Whenn it comes to Canon, I have noticed they can have a 2-3 business day lag.  For example, I recently sent a camera in for repair.  I noticed that something was wrong over Thanksgiving.  It took me a week to get a repair ticket.  I mailed it in the first week of December, and the package was delivered within 48 hours.  It took Canon almost a week to send my an email acknowledging that they had received it.  It took another week for them to send me an estimate, by which time it was a few days before Christmas.

I authorized the repairs, which took another two weeks to complete, judging by when they sent me an email informing that the repairs had been completed and the camera had been shipped on X date.  I was told to expect the package in 2-3 business days.  The package was delivered to my door later that day.

It took them about five weeks to compllete the process.  I chalked it up to the holiday season, and a surge in repairs.  You can always find mediocrity in very short order.  Excellence takes a little bit longer.  Rarely do you find both in the same place.  I had hoped to have my camera repaired in time for the holidays, but no such joy.

I think you'll be delighted with the lens.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@lurechunker wrote:

It was shipped about 3 business days after you placed your order, which is about average for many online retailers.  I guess this is why many of them offer some form of "express shipping" for an extra charge. 

Whenn it comes to Canon, I have noticed they can have a 2-3 business day lag.  For example, I recently sent a camera in for repair.  I noticed that something was wrong over Thanksgiving.  It took me a week to get a repair ticket.  I mailed it in the first week of December, and the package was delivered within 48 hours.  It took Canon almost a week to send my an email acknowledging that they had received it.  It took another week for them to send me an estimate, by which time it was a few days before Christmas.

I authorized the repairs, which took another two weeks to complete, judging by when they sent me an email informing that the repairs had been completed and the camera had been shipped on X date.  I was told to expect the package in 2-3 business days.  The package was delivered to my door later that day.

It took them about five weeks to compllete the process.  I chalked it up to the holiday season, and a surge in repairs.  You can always find mediocrity in very short order.  Excellence takes a little bit longer.  Rarely do you find both in the same place.  I had hoped to have my camera repaired in time for the holidays, but no such joy.

I think you'll be delighted with the lens.

Your experience is surprising to me. IIRC, you live in the greater NYC area, so you presumably sent your camera to the Jamesburg shop. I've always found them to be extremely prompt. To be sure, I'm a CPS member, which is supposed to give one priority service; but even so, what happened to you seems atypical.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Your experience is surprising to me. IIRC, you live in the greater NYC area, so you presumably sent your camera to the Jamesburg shop. I've always found them to be extremely prompt. To be sure, I'm a CPS member, which is supposed to give one priority service; but even so, what happened to you seems atypical.

I ordered a refurbished T6 kit from the Canon site at the end of January. It cost $389.99 and came in a large box. The camera and 2 lenses were well-packaged, each in their own box, inside of the large box. It shipped from the East Coast and I live on the West Coast. It took 4 business days for it to arrive, and I didn't pay for expedited shipping. 

@John_SD wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I ordered a refurbished T6 kit from the Canon site at the end of January. It cost $389.99 and came in a large box. The camera and 2 lenses were well-packaged, each in their own box, inside of the large box. It shipped from the East Coast and I live on the West Coast. It took 4 business days for it to arrive, and I didn't pay for expedited shipping. 

I noted in a previous post that the weekend probably didn't help expedite the order.  I think the camera was ordered on a Wednesday.  I don't know what time of day.  If the order didn't ship out on Friday, then it was likely going to sit over the weekend until Monday.  

Meanwhile, by the time Monday morning rolls around, they have collected at least 2 days worth of orders, and I'd bet that the volume of orders on the weekends is likely higher than on weekdays.  I'm not making excuses.  I just don't think there is anything out of the ordinary or unusual about a moderate delay of a few days, especially when a weekend is involved.

Announcements