cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New camera EO 5 Rebel T5.

Cindeeb
Apprentice

Husband brought me new camera Canon EO5 Rebel T5 2 days ago. Every time I take a picture rapid internal flash very bright in eyes of person I am taking the picture of. Rapid flash happens all the time. Cant seems to find how to correct this. Almost ready to take this camera back. Frustrated.  Other camera I have I have never had this problem.  Any HELP

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

cicopo
Elite

I don't have a manual for your camera but it sounds like you have Auto Focus Assist turned on & the camera uses those bursts of the flash to help focus in low light. Check your manual for that & turn it off to verify that's what it is.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

I just went from the Menu and that didnt work BUT when I changed the AF to MF on the side of the camera.  Yeah!!! it worked.  I'm such a happy camper now. Thanks so much! Woman Very Happy

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Sounds like you need to turn Red Eye Reduction off.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Red eye reduction is what I checked 1st.  I did disable it and it still continues to happen.

cicopo
Elite

I don't have a manual for your camera but it sounds like you have Auto Focus Assist turned on & the camera uses those bursts of the flash to help focus in low light. Check your manual for that & turn it off to verify that's what it is.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Better answer, although I have never had it actuate on my T5i. I had to check and verify that it is Enabled.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ok on the camera I do see AF method which I guess is the Auto Focus.  It says FlexiZoneAF when I click it and then it has the choice of Live mode or Quick mode. I tried both and the bursts of the flash still happens.

I just went from the Menu and that didnt work BUT when I changed the AF to MF on the side of the camera.  Yeah!!! it worked.  I'm such a happy camper now. Thanks so much! Woman Very Happy

Hi. What you did was switch off auto focusing on the lens; thats why the flashing stopped. The camera will not focus when you press the shutter. You will have to manually focus the lens. However, if it is so dark that the camera needs to flash the focus assist it will probably be too dark for you to focus the lens by looking through the viewfinder.

The real solution is that you need to be in a brighter setting.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Turning the AF off on the lens pretty much confirms that it is the ASSIST BEAM causing your problem. You will want to reset the lens to AF & find the right menu item to turn off Auto Focus Assist.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Every time I take a picture rapid internal flash very bright in eyes of person I am taking the picture of. ..."

The AF Assist flashes are usually not very "bright".  And they are very quick.  They are under powered flashes.  But of course that is in the eyes of the beholder.  Smiley Wink  Just how dark is the room you are shooting in?  Smiley Frustrated

The Red Eye reducton flashes are designed to close down a persons eye so it dose show as much redness.  Since I am usually on the side of the camera that doesn't flash, I don't really know if they are different in intensity.

The solution is turn both off and try again.  Smiley Happy  Also put the lens back in AF.  That is not the cause.

You have a very nice camera and it will take very good photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements