cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New T5i with a video problem

Astro
Apprentice

I received a new Canon T5i in the mail last week from Ritz Camera.  At first everything seemed splendid; this was an upgrade for me from an old XTi and I've been practicing with this camera so that I can cover next week's NASA launch with it. 

This morning while shooting video a problem suddenly appeared out of nowhere.  Right in the middle of recording a video the video screen turned solid purple and began flashing.  I stopped the recording shortly thereafter but the screen continued showing this problem until I took the camera off of movie mode.  At that point I started up the live view mode and everything was fine.  I returned to movie mode and everything seemed to be returned to normal, but the problem resembled sensor failures I have seen with other cameras in the past. 

This greatly concerns me since I am supposed to cover the launch of the Orion capsule next week as an invitee to NASA's social media event.  The last thing I need is for the problem to re-appear right in the middle of the launch.  I do not know why this happened, what it means, or how to prevent it in the future.  The camera has not been dropped or received any damage that I am aware of.  It was shipped to me and appeared to be in good condition when it arrived but now I'm concerned that something may have happened in shipping to cause a loose connection or intermittent problem with the sensor.  Does anyone here have any experience with this kind of failure and is there any fix for it?  Here is a link to the video containing the problem.  I re-compressed it but otherwise it is completely unaltered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biGJ4ThmdJo

Thank you in advance for any advice about this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Astro!

Welcome to the Canon Forum.

I looked at the sample video you posted and that is definitely not normal.  It may be the image sensor, but it may also be something wrong with how the camera was recording the video to the memory card.  I would try another card to see if that does not help.  If the issue persists, the camera will need to be repaired.

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Astro!

Welcome to the Canon Forum.

I looked at the sample video you posted and that is definitely not normal.  It may be the image sensor, but it may also be something wrong with how the camera was recording the video to the memory card.  I would try another card to see if that does not help.  If the issue persists, the camera will need to be repaired.

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Mike!  Fortunately I lucked out and the camera lasted through the Orion launch without the problem reappearing. On Christmas however the camera started producing horizontal banding in still pictures as well (http://dropcanvas.com/lskgu ).  I called tech support and they concurred that it sounds like a sensor failure.  They've started the repair process with me.  I'm just waiting to receive the shipping label and then the camera will be on its way back.  Thanks for your help!

Announcements