cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New T5i w/18mm to 135mm Lens Pop Up flash Issue ?

Chip50
Apprentice

Hello All:

I just receive my New Rebel T5i with the 18mm to 135 mm lens. I am using a Polaroid UV Filter and Lens Hood EW-73B. I am taking excellent photos but I am wondering if it is having an issue.

My issue is the sometimes the flash will pop up and flash in bright sunlight. it may be to the focal length at the time. Does the T4i have this issue or is it an issue?

Glad to be a new member to the form

Thank you

Chip50

Canon SureShot 5; New to DSRL Rebel T5i 

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi hsbn:

Tthank you for the response. Actually I was in Landscape or Fully Automatic Shooting Mode. One of the shots I was in one of the two formentioned mode, in 135 mm with a white wall on my left. In another shot I was taking another landscape shot in the open and the flash popped up. I will try again this weekend and try different modes and what results I get. And thank you I always appreciate the assistance.

Chip50

View solution in original post

IT's possible that you're just accidently hitting the flash button to make it pop up; it's on the left side of the housing above the lens release button.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's hard to know what those automatic settings are trying to do all the time.   If you're doing landscape try playing around in Av mode, it puts a bit more control back in your hands but still takes care of the exposure for you.

Skiball:

Thank you for the suggestion. I am trying to break away from the auto mode and venturing into the creative modes like Program, At and Av.

Regards,

Chip50

It's actually easier than it seems. Av is a good mode to start. It's almost like full auto but you have more control.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

5 REPLIES 5

hsbn
Whiz

What automatic mode are you using? I guess it's a back-lit situation where your subject is facing agaist the sun and the camera trying to put in some fill-flash. It's perfectly normal to use fill flash under the bright sun to fill some shadow. It's actually even make the photo better.

You can read more about it here: http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/195/using-a-flash-when-outside/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi hsbn:

Tthank you for the response. Actually I was in Landscape or Fully Automatic Shooting Mode. One of the shots I was in one of the two formentioned mode, in 135 mm with a white wall on my left. In another shot I was taking another landscape shot in the open and the flash popped up. I will try again this weekend and try different modes and what results I get. And thank you I always appreciate the assistance.

Chip50

IT's possible that you're just accidently hitting the flash button to make it pop up; it's on the left side of the housing above the lens release button.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's hard to know what those automatic settings are trying to do all the time.   If you're doing landscape try playing around in Av mode, it puts a bit more control back in your hands but still takes care of the exposure for you.

Skiball:

Thank you for the suggestion. I am trying to break away from the auto mode and venturing into the creative modes like Program, At and Av.

Regards,

Chip50

It's actually easier than it seems. Av is a good mode to start. It's almost like full auto but you have more control.
Announcements