cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Microphone, t6 recognizing it as a monitor. Help CANON EOS REBEL T6

Zavistt
Apprentice

Okay I am new to cameras. I know a bit but not a lot. Anyways, recently I purchased my T6 and I got a microphone from the bestbuy I got it from. 

The microphone is a 3.5 cord so I had to get an adaptor for it to fit the 2.5 port. 

When I turn on my camera it does not display the screen until I flip to the movie mode(makes sense) BUT even then if the microphone is plugged in I can not press record, when I unplug it I can record but I feel like it should not be that hard. 

Any tips? I think it might be that the mic needed an adaptor that its messing up. 

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Zavistt wrote:

Okay I am new to cameras. I know a bit but not a lot. Anyways, recently I purchased my T6 and I got a microphone from the bestbuy I got it from. 

The microphone is a 3.5 cord so I had to get an adaptor for it to fit the 2.5 port. 

When I turn on my camera it does not display the screen until I flip to the movie mode(makes sense) BUT even then if the microphone is plugged in I can not press record, when I unplug it I can record but I feel like it should not be that hard. 

Any tips? I think it might be that the mic needed an adaptor that its messing up. 

You need to slow down and read the instruction manual.  As I recall, the T6 DOES NOT have a microphone input.  All of your questions, and more that you have not thought of yet, can be answered by reading the manual.  DO IT.  Before you smoke your camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kittyvannever
Apprentice
Yep, the T6 does NOT take a external microphone unfortunately. I was super disappointed when I found this out AFTER I ordered it. You can however record your video on silent mode and use an external microphone on a laptop or recording device.. then sync it up in an editor. Pain in the butt, but that's what you have to do.. I've yet to figure out how to do it.

This is exactly why hollywood invented the "clap board".

Start your video a little early and clap your hands in front of the camera. In post, use the visual indication of the clap to line it up with the clap.

John_SD
Whiz

See pages 160 and 178 in PDF Instruction Manual for the T6.

"Sound will be recorded by the built-in monaural microphone. An external microphone cannot be used."

Read and study the manual. You will be lost without it. 

AdanTorres
Apprentice
OMG, "clap board", I'm blown away!!!!! I never really knew the real purpose of it, I'm like stoked right now. Specially because I am BIG on sound quality, I mean BIIIIGG !!!! So basically now all I got to do is set up my camera and my high en audio recording equipment and I can make music videos, WOW, I'm still blown away by the clap board.

If that makes you excited, you should look into SMPTE Time code:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_timecode

This is why newer clapboards have digital displays on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapperboard

John_
Authority

That 2.5mm jack you used most likely is for a remote shutter release cable

You answered a question from 2 years ago.

AdanTorres
Apprentice
I will try and learn SMPTE this weekend. Thanks.
Announcements