cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New EOS 750D making magenta/pink pictures

Tiffyx
Apprentice

I recently bought a new EOS 750D after I borrowed the 700D from someone. I love working with it, the only problem I found was that it seems to make pictures with a magenta/pink hue on it when I'm making pictures in unnatural light. 

I can't find the solution for this problem anywhere online.

The camera does it in both manual and auto (without flash) mode. When using the flash or brighter (LED) light, the colours are shown as normal. I've also tried different lenses, but it seem that it's the body that's causing this problem.  

I hope someone could help me resolve this problem, otherwise I'll be taking it back to the shop to get it fixed.. 

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Before you take it back to "get it fixed", I suggest you read the manual about WB, White Balance, settings. 

It sounds like you could be using an incorrect setting.  I shoot RAW, not JPEG, whiich means I can correct and WB after I download the images to a computer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Tiffyx wrote:

I recently bought a new EOS 750D after I borrowed the 700D from someone. I love working with it, the only problem I found was that it seems to make pictures with a magenta/pink hue on it when I'm making pictures in unnatural light. 

I can't find the solution for this problem anywhere online.

The camera does it in both manual and auto (without flash) mode. When using the flash or brighter (LED) light, the colours are shown as normal. I've also tried different lenses, but it seem that it's the body that's causing this problem.  

I hope someone could help me resolve this problem, otherwise I'll be taking it back to the shop to get it fixed.. 

Never trust your lying eyes where color is concerned. The human eye/brain system is marvelous at pretending that colors look natural under all sorts of ambient light. Cameras are not. They can often make a good guess, but if the light is sufficiently "unnatural", they can easily be fooled. To combat that, you may have to adjust the "white balance", either by a camera setting or by shooting in RAW mode and fixing it with a photo editor.

The bottom line is that there's almost certainly nothing wrong with your camera. You just have to help it out a bit.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Tiffyx,

"The bottom line is that there's almost certainly nothing wrong with your camera."

"Almost" is the key word here, isn't it?  To make sure you need to test the T6i is working correctly. First clear all settings in the menu under the tools tab. Go out side on a sunny day with it set to the "P" mode.  Put you lens in AF on the AF/MF switch.  Focus on something 25 or 30 feet away.  Take the shot.   Are they "magenta/pink hue" ?  If they are OK, the T6i is OK.  It is the venue you are shooting.  You do need to use the RAW format and a good post editor to make them the way you want them.  RAW is not effected by camera settings like WB.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tiffyx
Apprentice

Thanks for the responses! 

I was already able to "fix" the problem by using different white balance settings, but I just thought it was strange that even shooting in auto mode, the hue would appear. If something was wrong with my camera I'd just like to find that out within my warranty period rather than outside it. 

I'll try Ebiggs1's tip tomorrow and hope nothing's wrong (although using my camera by natural lighting didn't show any problems before). 
This already was a camera which was returned before I bought it, because the box had been opened. I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong. Also, my other camera didn't make them pink under the same circumstances (Nikon D5300)
I'm not a professional, I only just started learning and trying a few things. 

Anyways, thanks 🙂 If anyone else has some suggestions, it's all welcome. 

Tiffyx,

Why did you ditch the D5300 for the T6i?  The D5300 is a pretty nice camera.

One thing that I forgot to mention. if you shoot RAW format you will need a post editor. The free DPP supplied with your Rebel will work but is not one of the better ones.  Free is free.  Photoshop Elements is the best choice considering price and features.

When you do your 'test' set the WB to Auto. For the test shoot in jpg format.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:
When you do your 'test' set the WB to Auto. For the test shoot in jpg format.

Or if you feel like experimenting a bit, set the camera up on a tripod outdoors. Select a subject to shoot and take a series of the same scene with the camera set for each of the different W/B settings. If you're shooting in bright, open sunlight see which setting looks the best to your eye. If you're shooting under cloudy conditions, see if the "Cloudy" setting looks better or worse than the AWB setting. This will give you a better idea of what's going on when you see strange color shifts in your images.

Also, are you seeing this magenta color cast on your monitor, on prints you've made yourself, or commercially made prints? Or all of the above?

Announcements