cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some guidance

Tank
Apprentice
Hi all,
I’m completely new to photography and need a bit of help. I’m shooting on an EOS 600D. Love the camera, but there’s one thing I can’t figure out and it’s driving me crazy.
What settings do I need to have it set at to take long exposure photos without the photo just being a white screen. I’ve played with aperture and lens timing, but I just can’t seem to get it right.
I know it’s probably a very silly question, and I’m kinda expecting some smarta$$ remarks, which I guess I deserve to a point, but any useful replies or some guidance would be greatly appreciated and I would be very thankful.
Thanks in advance folks. 🙂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You need to learn about the exposure triangle. Any particular scene has a combination of ISO, shutter and Aperture that produces a good exposure. If you change any one of the three, like shutter time in your case, you must compensate by adjusting the other two to keep the same exposure.

For example, if a shutter speed of 1/60 second and an aperture of f/4 and an ISO of 400 gives you a good exposure, in order to increase the shutter time to 1/30 you must at the same time you must increase the aperture to f/2.8 *or* the ISO to 200 in order to keep that exposure.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Love the second shot!

I was going to add flowing waterfalls is simple using Photoshop.  No special camera tricks required.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

A long shutter time is a "camera trick'?

"A long shutter time is a "camera trick'?"

Yes it is.

EB

At what shutter speed do we transition into tricks vs photographic choicesSmiley Happy
?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Whatever works. Simple?

EB
Announcements