Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Need help with recording in low light

So I'm doing a film noir and I need some help with getting the best possible quality. I am shooting a lot of scenes with darkness and from my practice shots I have been dealing with a lot of noise. I understand there will be some noise but I want to limit as much as I possibly can. I have a Rebel T5i with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. I just want to know what are the best camera setting to get the best possible shot. 

Thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: Need help with recording in low light

You’re getting a lot of noise because you’re underexposing.  Are you shooting in low light because you have no choice, or because you want a dark look?  It doesn’t necessarily have to be dark to get a dark look.  Professionals (and advanced ams) use a lot of light, and then control the look through setting their exposure and post processing.  Do you have PP software that can do more than stitch?

As for the settings, I would start at 24 fps, 1/50 shutter (keep it at 2X the fps for now), open the aperture all the way, and then creep up the ISO to get proper exposure (and/or add light).  Better to add light and reduce in post if you’re trying to reduce noise.  Though technically, if you’re trying film noir, a bit of grain is kind of expected.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Need help with recording in low light

So your saying to use light to reduce the noise and then later darken during post?