cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on deciding on cam

naydeen71
Contributor

Hi,

Back again looking to get a  "beginner" DSLR. Crossed on two models with the great deals going on throughout this month.

1st: T5

Attractive price @$399 with a kit lens 18-55

2nd: SL1 - body only @same price as the T5 with no lens. Perfect for my tiny hands 😃

What camera in your opinion has the best bang for the buck when its comes to featues + image quality between those two? I read someonewhere the the T5 does not have the sensor cleaning mode when you power up/off - not sure how important that may be.   As for lens I have talked with my local camera store and they said they can get me two kit lens 18-55 & 55-250 for under $200 used (they are practially brand new) so I can learn on them til I am more confident to try different lenses.

Thanks

😃

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority
Between the two, I would go for the SL1. The T5 is a very stripped down model. You also say the size is better for you.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
Between the two, I would go for the SL1. The T5 is a very stripped down model. You also say the size is better for you.

I've never used either camera, so my opinion should be treated with appropriate skepticism. But it's a basic fact that miniaturization comes at a cost. They've crammed a lot of functionality into the relatively small body of the SL1, so it pretty well has to use flimsier components. And the cramming may signal a camera that's more difficult, and therefore possibly more expensive, to service. Not saying that the OP shouldn't buy the SL1, just that she should go into it with her eyes open.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

I've never used either camera, so my opinion should be treated with appropriate skepticism. But it's a basic fact that miniaturization comes at a cost. They've crammed a lot of functionality into the relatively small body of the SL1, so it pretty well has to use flimsier components. And the cramming may signal a camera that's more difficult, and therefore possibly more expensive, to service. Not saying that the OP shouldn't buy the SL1, just that she should go into it with her eyes open.

I don't know if I necessarily agree with that.  Most of the functionality is on the chip, not mechanics, and chips just get smaller and faster as technology grows.   The mirror/sensor assembly can't really change size, so I'd be surprised to find that it's any different from the Rebels.   I could be wrong, I have no insider information, but I can't imagine they're pushing the limits of manufacturing with these. 

As to servicing - you really don't service Rebels.  By the time the warranty expires it'll be worth less than the cost to send it in.

+1 to the SL1 for me.  IF it feels good in your hands.  I think it'd be too small for me, but if you like it, go for it, it's a much better camera than the T5.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Naydeeen,

In my photography classes, which are predominently filled with Canon Rebel users, far more than all the other brands, I have never seen anyone with a SL-1.  Mostly people seem to have the T3i.  

I think in your case that camera store is your best friend.  Go try them and see which works for you.  Features may be nice but if you don't like using the camera, why do it?

$200 bucks for two lenses, how can you go wrong?  Go back to the camera store!  Play with them and decide.

I was concerned about a lens purchase, a Tamron 150-600mm because of some bad reviews it had.  I went to my local camera store and they let me try it out on two of my bodies before buying it.  I paid about $50 bucks more than the big houses but it was well worth it to me. And it did reaffirm my notion to not trust the reviews!

Go back to your camera store and try it out.  None of us can tell you which to get as they will both make beautiful pictures.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I don't disagree with that. I was just answering the question as posed, between just the 2 cameras.

Try them for feel if you haven't held/played with them yet. The SL1 would be small for my hands but it is your hands that matter. And a T3i would be another good bargain choice if you like the feel better.

And buying the lenses used, and so cheap, is a great deal. You can probably shoot them for a few years and then if you ever sell them you will probably get your money back, at that price.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi and thank you for the responses. I went into my local camera store today and the salesperson was very helpful.  I brought up what camara is better and like you guys said the T5 is pretty much stripped down. The SL1 would be the winner for faster focusing, more shots second and new digix processor, better display in the LED screen tad bit bigger view finder than the T5 and being my hands are small it does felt perfectly in my hands. I did read the forum posts and brought up would it cost more down if the camera needed to be repaired when the warranty was up and she said it would cost the same as other Rebels to repair.  Like I know from a computer standpoint be expensive to repair a all-in-one pc being everything is crammed in.  Still on fence with the SL1. The salesperson brought up the T3i and they have one used with a kit lens for around $430 30 day warranty and for 60$ I can throw on an additional 2yr warranty. They also had just the T3i body for around $330 used.  I have some time figuring out which one I want and who knows with the T6/T6i coming out next month maybe the price of the T5i will drop some.

Well I'll be...  my appologies, I thought the SL1 had all cross type focus points - looks like it doesn't, only center point, like the T3i.  That was one of my primary reasons for recommending it over something like the T3i. 

Traditionally I have always recommended the T3i because I thought it was a great value for a Rebel.  The newer ones have all cross points, which helps in lower contrast situations, but still the T3i was a great beginner camera.

So really the difference between the SL1 and T3i is the smaller size (SL1), T3i has a flipout screen while SL1 has touch (I'd prefer flipout, but some like touch), and the SL1 has autofocus during video (if you do video, this is huge). 

That kit deal for the T3i is OK if it's a single lens.  If it also has a 55-250 it's a good deal.  I would definately do the 2 year warranty.  Alternately you can get refurbished units from Canon, which are completely rebuilt to specification and come with a 1 year warranty.  They have a T3i kit for $479, but are currently out of stock. Also, they frequently have deals on refurb prices.  $479 is a little high for just a single lens considering you can get a new SL1 kit for $499.  That said, all things equal, I'd get  a refurb from Canon with a 1 year warranty over a used from a local store with a 2 year aftermarket warranty:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-rebel-t3i-...

The jury is still out on the new T6i, but based on the specs is looks to be the biggest upgrade to the Rebel line in a long time, possibly in the history of the line.  If you were willing spend that much (current price for pre-release is $800 for the kit), it's a much better camera.  Is it worth the cost difference for your use?  Can't say.  People like to think they need camera technology more than want.  But I can't judge, I've got a fair amount of equipment myself...

Announcements