cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Recommendations: SL3 or T6I

Brianna_G
Apprentice

I currently have an Olympus SP-610UZ. I am looking to upgrade my camera for nature and wildlife photography. (as well as casual use but I will mainly use it for nature and wildlife) I was going to just purchase the T6I but I saw the SL3 is similar when it comes to the price. The T7I is not an option for me unfortunately because I don't have 200 extra dollars. The SL3 has some better features but the T6I has more AF points so I'm kind of at a loss. I'm fairly new to photography so I appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

I do not know what your budget is, or where you have been looking to purchase a camera.  If you are looking camera bundles on Amazon, I strongly suggest that you look else where.  One of the best places to look is Canon's Online refurbished Store.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-77d-ef-s-18-55-is-stm-kit-refurbished 

They have very attractive deals on the 70D, which I am sure have had "the fix" installed.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-70d-18-55mm-is-stm-kit-refurbished-camera 

The 70D is going for less than the 77D.  It is beginning to look attractive, IMHO.  There are a lot of good deals right now.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The camera body is only one half of the package.  You will want at telephoto lens that is at least 300mm long.

3B354627-9025-4938-863B-126D968D3C41.jpeg

Again what is your budget.

Waddizzle, that is a beautiful photo of a Great Egret! Where did you take that photo?

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

Brianna_G
Apprentice
I am steering clear of the bundles on Amazon. If I was going to get the T6I I was going to get it off of Canon's website. If I was going to get the SL3 I was going to
purchase it from Best Buy. Recently I saw on Best Buy's site they have a T7I bundle that comes with two lenses for $750 (and less important things like a bag and SD card). $750 is about $150 over my budget but I believe it's a better value in the end? My budget really can't go any higher than $750 along with the tax I will have to pay. I saw some comments about me most likely being disappointed with the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II however I did some research and it does seem like you can get some pretty decent wildlife shots with it. A bonus is I live in Florida and a lot of the wildlife are pretty comfortable with humans so I can get within a comfortable/safe distance for both the animals and myself. I was considering the 70D and 77D but I really can't adjust my budget any further due to being a student and only working part-time.

@wchettel - I took the shot at a lake in the NYC northern suburbs, about 15-20 miles or so form Times Square.  There is one egret that has begun feeding there in the late afternoon, just before sunset.

@Brianna_G. - Did you see the prices at the links that I posted.  I like the 77D camera kit better than the 70D camera kit, but only because the 77D has lunch newer and better technology. 

Lenses.  Here is a great starter lens, which is probably just outside of your budget.  It is worth it, to save up for it.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-is-ii-usm-refurbished 

The best version of the 55-250mm is probably the latest version, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-55-250mm-f4-5-6-is-stm-telephoto-zoom-lens-refurbish... 

How well it will perform shooting wildlife will depend upon the size of the wildlife and how close you are.  It will give you and angle of view that is roughly equivalent to 100-400mm, which is the range of a very popular professional grade Canon lens.

Stay away from the 75-30mm lense,  Stick with the 70-300mm lenses, if you want that range.

Kido,

If budget is a main most thing buy just the camera and the ef-s 18-55mm lens.  Do not buy any bundles or packages.  One camera and one lens. This is how you are going to end up.  You buy the two lens package and quickly find it doesn't do what you want.  Now what?  You need to buy another lens, so how does that impact the budget? Buying twice?

I like Ricks' analysis for the SL3 and I like Best Buy as source because you can go in the store and try the camera before you buy or even decide.

A even better idea is just buy the camera I.E. the SL3 body only and choose a lens separately.  This will cost more initially but will be less costly in the long run.

And even better lens is either the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens or the super sharp and very fast Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon EF. Both lenses are on sale at retailers like B&H, Adorama, Roberts and possible Best Buy, too. This combo and either of those tow lenses is a killer combo that you will never need to upgrade.

Later you can decide on a tele for your wildlife shots.  I can tell you 250mm isn't enough and you will be disappointed using it for wildlife unless you can be in a cage with them.

Choose wisely and avoid any and all bundles and packages! Avoid Amazon, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements