cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help With Jewelry Photography! Canon Rebel t5

Metalsmith
Apprentice

Hey Everyone,

I own the Canon Rebel t5 and I have the standard 58mm lens and a 60mm macro lens. I shoot my jewelry photographs in a Foldio light box.

I am a super beginner with my Canon and so far have found the most success shooting in the Manual Exposure setting. I typically use a shutter speed between 1/500, 1/640 or 1/800, it seems to give me the brightest results. My aperture was always around F5 and ISO1600. Here is what i'm hoping to achieve and unable to:

*A jewelry shot that is completely in focus

*As white a background as possible (I currently shoot in the lightbox on top of white computer paper)

I have tried changing the aperture but it still seems that I still can't get the entire ring, necklace, or earring in focus and this is critical so that I can then edit in photoshop. I've also tried the macro setting but photos come out too dark when I can't change the shutter speed.

I'm very open to everyones suggestions and expertise. My jewelry website is www.metalribbonstudio.com I hired a photographer for a some photos but the backgrounds she gave me were gray so I have to redo a lot of my photos and a ton of the ones I have taken are blurry in the background, in focus in the foreground.

Cheers,

Corkie

23 REPLIES 23

Don't go cheap on the tripod. Get an unsteady one and you will end up having to buy another one.

If you shop online go with a big enough store that they let you search by the weight the tripod can support, and then go a lot heavier than your camera and lens to be sure it is a steady one. I'd say get one that is rated to hold at least 17+ pounds.  

You need a ball head too. Some pods come with a head, most of the better ones come separately.

Getting a ball head that is "Arca-Swiss compatible" is smart. It lets you use a wide range of connector plates from many different manufacturers.  No need to be stuck with some company's proprietary connector stuff. 

Don't waste money on carbon fiber; for your use you don't care about an extra few ounces because you are not hiking with it. Aluminum is fine. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What you need is software that performs "focus stacking." editing

He is absolutely correct about needing post editing software.  But focus stacking is just a small part of the process.  Great photos are made in post, rarely in the camera!  IMHO, of course and subject to change.

The tripod and shooting straight down is also a winner.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"What you need is software that performs "focus stacking." "

He is absolutely correct about needing post editing software.  But focus stacking is just a small part of the process.  Great photos are made in post, rarely in the camera!  IMHO, of course and subject to change.

The tripod and shooting straight down is also a winner.

IMG_2520.PDN.png

The above shot is an example of using a tripod to "shoot straight down" at a subject.  This tripod allowed for the center column to be reversed, flipped upside down, so that the head can be positioned with a ball head as shown.

I am shooting at an angle to avoid casting a strong shadow over the plate of food, juevos rancheros.  Normally, one would use special lighting and a light box.  This shot was taken to illustrate how to use a reversible center column.

IMG_2015_09_280665.png

Here is a shot of the plate of food.  The actual shot was taken with the tripod raised higher, so that the camera aimed straight down, and so that the MFD, minimum focusing distance, of the lens was maintained.  Ambient light and a "long" exposure was used.

What is it?  It's a couple of fried eggs, served over a bed of Spanish rice, and a bed of pinto beans.  This is covered with sauteed salsa, queso fresca and crema, along with fresh tostitos, some grated iceberg lettuce, and avocado slices.

This shot was taken with a T5, and the 18-55mm kit lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Were any juevos rancheros harmed in the making of this image?  😉

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

@ScottyP wrote:

Were any juevos rancheros harmed in the making of this image?  😉

They were nuked, and then utterly destroyed, shortly after the photo shoot.

Metalsmith
Apprentice

UPDATE

First and foremost I wanted to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my post. 

I purchased a ProMaster 7100 Tripod and it seems to suite my needs just fine.

So now that I have the tripod I attempted to shoot in AV mode with my macro lens. This is f16, iso 100 and I could not figure out how to change the exposure from 0. The dial near the view finder didn't change it nor was i able to pick it in the digital display while in AV mode. It is way, way too dark.

I completely agree about using software to edit. I have photoshop and lightroom. I even purchased a colorchecker **bleep** which I am struggling to use. I feel way in over my head. 

I really need simple, begininer advice. My understandling of photoshop is a begininers understanding. The reason I initially posted was because I need the entire jewelry in focus before I can cut it out and paste it onto a pure white background in photoshop which is what most jewelry companies do. Then I went to the camera shop and they sold me on the colorchecker **bleep** because I would love to be able to get an image that just looks great and doesn't require being cut out. I literally spent 6 hours today trying to figure it out and because i'm also new to lightroom I was having a hard time.

But I digress, white balance aside I am still having a hard time getting everything in focus. I also tried f32 iso 100 for a 0"6 exposure and the photo looks the same as this.

IMG_4181.jpg

@Metalsmith wrote:

UPDATE

First and foremost I wanted to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my post. 

I purchased a ProMaster 7100 Tripod and it seems to suite my needs just fine.

So now that I have the tripod I attempted to shoot in AV mode with my macro lens. This is f16, iso 100 and I could not figure out how to change the exposure from 0. The dial near the view finder didn't change it nor was i able to pick it in the digital display while in AV mode. It is way, way too dark.

I completely agree about using software to edit. I have photoshop and lightroom. I even purchased a colorchecker **bleep** which I am struggling to use. I feel way in over my head. 

I really need simple, begininer advice. My understandling of photoshop is a begininers understanding. The reason I initially posted was because I need the entire jewelry in focus before I can cut it out and paste it onto a pure white background in photoshop which is what most jewelry companies do. Then I went to the camera shop and they sold me on the colorchecker **bleep** because I would love to be able to get an image that just looks great and doesn't require being cut out. I literally spent 6 hours today trying to figure it out and because i'm also new to lightroom I was having a hard time.

But I digress, white balance aside I am still having a hard time getting everything in focus. I also tried f32 iso 100 for a 0"6 exposure and the photo looks the same as this.

Hopefully, the tripod will work out for you.  I have grave reservations and doubts about it.  The head isn't interdhangeable.  Be careful of extending the center column, as that greatly increases the instability of a tripod.  Use the weight hook on the bottom of the center column to stabilize it with a weighted bag.  It is rated at just over 10 pounds, which doesn't mean much.

You cannot change the exposure in Av mode because in that mode the camera sets the exposure.  Make a note of what shutter speed the camera decides to use, and then switch to "M", Manual, mode and use the same exposure...or adjust it if you wish.

You can stack images in Photoshop CC and CS6 by using the "Auto Blend Layers" command.  Instructions on how to do it can be found in the online Help.  Try typing "focus stacking" into the search box of the Help screen.

You may want to rethink on your lighting.  I think you need more than one source, brighter sources, and possibly diffusers.  You want it to be lit up as bright as daylight. 

Don't look for shortcuts.  There is no substitute for careful, meticulous work.

@Metalsmith wrote:

UPDATE

Since you are fixing the aperture to f/16 and the ISO to 100, the only thing you can change is the time.  Therefore you should use either Tv or M and not Av.  In Tv or M mode just change the time value (Tv) to something that would proper expose.  In your picture, looks like it might need to be around 1.5 seconds or so.  Properly exposed, I think your background will look white.  In light room you can use the dropper, click on the background and it will adjust the color to white for you.

For this kind of shooting, it is best to use live view so you can see exactly what the picture will look like  exposure-wise...it won't show you the depth of field, unfortunately.  Here is how to get to live view.

live view.JPG

In Av and Tv mode, you can also use exposure compensation to change the way the picture look (i.e. brighten it).  The dial next to the viewfinder is not the one to use.  Here is an excerpt from your manual

exp comp.JPG

I must tell you to read up more on how to use your camera before you can get the kind of professional looking pictures that you desire.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

"I must tell you to read up more on how to use your camera before you can get the kind of professional looking pictures that you desire." 

I would have to agree with that sentiment.  If you have never heard of "exposure triangle", do a web search for it.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2015/understanding-exposure-triangle.shtml

Ernie said that great pictures are made in post.   He's right.  It took more clicks to load the image, than it did to edit.

original_0001.jpg

I brightened up your photo by 1 stop, did a click white balance on the background.

BTW, those spots are a dirty sensor.  You need a BLOWER to clean it off.  Get a professional to do it for you at this point.

@Waddizzle wrote:

"I must tell you to read up more on how to use your camera before you can get the kind of professional looking pictures that you desire." 

I would have to agree with that sentiment.  If you have never heard of "exposure triangle", do a web search for it.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2015/understanding-exposure-triangle.shtml

Ernie said that great pictures are made in post.   He's right.  It took more clicks to load the image, than it did to edit.

original_0001.jpg

I brightened up your photo by 1 stop, did a click white balance on the background.

BTW, those spots are a dirty sensor.  You need a BLOWER to clean it off.  Get a professional to do it for you at this point.

Yes a Rocket blower bulb or a knockoff of the same. 

You you can also use the "clone" function in Lightroom to make a little spot disappear in about 2 seconds in the develop module.  You do want to get the dust off the sensor though, so you don't have to do the same spots over and over again in every shot. 

Scott

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements