cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rebel T6s wont recognize sd card

tmj2015
Apprentice

Within the last few days, I purchased a Rebel T6s 760D. Today upon, open the box and setting the camera up, I foud that not one SD card can be be formatted or recognizable in the camera. I've used over 7 different perfectly good SD cards that have worked in the past on other Canons. Each time I put a SD card in the camera it says, "Card annot be accessed." Each time I try to format the card it says, "cannot format, change card."  Please help. Thank you  

30 REPLIES 30

ScottyP
Authority
You could try a hard reset. Leave the battery out of the camera for a few days, until you lose the date/time and have to reset them. See if rebooting helps the problem.

Failing that I think you had better return it.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

theandies
Enthusiast

Compatible cards (according to my T6i manual):

SD

SDHC

SDXC

For movies Canon recommeds a class 6 or better card.

Do all your cards work in a computer?

Are you trying to use a micro SD card in an adaptor?  Micro SD's will not work.

I suggest going out and getting a brand new top of the line SD card and trying it. 

I suggest a SanDisk - Ultra 8GB SDHC UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card.  That is what I'm running in my T6i right now.  The 8g will run you about 14 bucks at a big box store.

Also if there is any data on your cards you might want to low level format them on your computer and hopefully the camera will be able to read it then I suggest you format it on the camera.

Good luck.

Are you trying to use a micro SD card in an adaptor?  Micro SD's will not work.

I suggest going out and getting a brand new top of the line SD card and trying it. 

Micro SD cards should not be a problem. They are made to the same specs as a regular size SD card. I was using a 32 micro in my T5 for two years and 30,000 shots until I switched it into my phone. When my wife got me this T6i, I again bought a 32 Gb micro. I've put almost 4,600 shots on the T6i, using this microSD with no problem.

The T6i manual requires SD, SDHC, or SDXC with UDC supported. (see pg 5) There is no requirement for full size cards.

What could be a problem is the microSD holder. If that was defective or had bad contacts it would prevent the camera from reading it. Any testing should be with the microSD card in the holder. What could also be a problem is the card not seating properly. If the card is removed for testing though, that becomes less likely. A long shot is there is something inside the card slot blocking the contacts. 

I do recommend keeping a second card as a spare. Whether 16 or 32 Gb makes little difference. Either hold a lot of pictures.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am afraid Scott has the right advice.  You don't have the write protect switch on, do you.  Although you can format the SD card in a computer, it isn't a good idea.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I am afraid Scott has the right advice.  You don't have the write protect switch on, do you.  Although you can format the SD card in a computer, it isn't a good idea.  

I agree on using the camera to format the card.  The only reason I suggested using the computer first is to wipe all the data off the card since he stated it wouldn't work in the camera hense he can't format it using the camera.  Maybe by formatting in a computer it will allow the camera to read the card.  Once the card can be read by the camera then the camera could be used to format the card.

@theandies wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I agree on using the camera to format the card.  The only reason I suggested using the computer first is to wipe all the data off the card since he stated it wouldn't work in the camera hense he can't format it using the camera.  Maybe by formatting in a computer it will allow the camera to read the card.  Once the card can be read by the camera then the camera could be used to format the card.

I agree, just to add though,

Using a computer to check the read and write of the card is smart. If the computer can not recognize the card strongly suggests that the card is at fault. The test would also tell you if the protect switch is on but a visual check also helps.

If the camera can still not recognize the card, then start troubleshooting the card & camera interface. A hard reboot of the camera is a good place to start.

Bellchamber
Apprentice

I have the same problem.  5 cards already used in same Camera suddenly not accessable.  I backed up one on the computer and was able to use the Camera itself to then format the card.  Working so far.

@Bellchamber wrote:

I have the same problem.  5 cards already used in same Camera suddenly not accessable.  I backed up one on the computer and was able to use the Camera itself to then format the card.  Working so far.

That's great.  But, how much storage space are we talking about?  What memory size is the card?  Is it a compact card with an adapter, or a full size card?  You should only use full size cards. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It wouldn't recognize the folder on a 16GB Class 6 nor a 2GB micro with an adapter.

I formated the 2GB Micro with an adapter.  Has worked so far.

Announcements