cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My older EOS Rebel died. I just received it back from canon, they said they couldn't repair it becau

Dank
Contributor
Canon cannot repair the camera because the service life is expired. Now what?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

That's understandable.  At some point they stop making repair parts for very old gear and will eventually run out of those parts.  

Did they tell you about the Canon Loyalty program?

Don't discard that broken camera!  The offers in the Loyalty program change regularly, they don't post details on the Internet, but if you phone Canon, they can tell you about the program and any current offers available.

They will allow you to trade in your non-working camera for a newer camera (which may be a refurbished camera -- but keep in mind that even Canon refurbs come with the same 1 year warranty that a new camera would have.)  

The program allows you to get a newer camera model for substantially less than it would cost to buy otherwise.

...and of course... these newer cameras will have vastly improved performance.  ISO performance of DSLRs have improved substantially over the years.  You'll probably quite enjoy having a more up-to-date camera body.

The new bodies use all the same EOS lenses -- so no worries about lens compatibility.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

That's understandable.  At some point they stop making repair parts for very old gear and will eventually run out of those parts.  

Did they tell you about the Canon Loyalty program?

Don't discard that broken camera!  The offers in the Loyalty program change regularly, they don't post details on the Internet, but if you phone Canon, they can tell you about the program and any current offers available.

They will allow you to trade in your non-working camera for a newer camera (which may be a refurbished camera -- but keep in mind that even Canon refurbs come with the same 1 year warranty that a new camera would have.)  

The program allows you to get a newer camera model for substantially less than it would cost to buy otherwise.

...and of course... these newer cameras will have vastly improved performance.  ISO performance of DSLRs have improved substantially over the years.  You'll probably quite enjoy having a more up-to-date camera body.

The new bodies use all the same EOS lenses -- so no worries about lens compatibility.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks Tim, I will try that!

Some independent repair shops may be able to fix it. Worth at try.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Which older Rebel do you have?  Very often you can buy a used Rebel for much less than a repair would cost. 

You can also offset the cost by selling you old Rebel "For parts".

Here is a sample of what used Canon 300D Rebel's have recently sold for on Ebay:  Sold 300D Rebel  

Mike Sowsun

So I traded my old,inop,EOS Rebel XT for a refurbished T4i from Canon customer loyalty program. I'm satisfied with the deal they gave me. Dank

Awesome!  I suspect you'll be quite happy with the improvements in ISO and other areas of performance.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements