cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new camera vs my samsung s8

Helsinki
Apprentice

Hello everyone,,

I'm relatavily new to the photography world and yesterday I bought my first real camera. I bought a Canon 200D with the 18-55mm DCIII lense.

I thought that there is no way my phone would be able to match up to a dedicated camera, but this doesn't seem to be the case and I'm quite dissapointed to be honest.

The pictures from my S8 seem to be far superior, it captures far more colour, is more dynamic, is sharper and just makes all around better pictures.

Is this normal or is it just my amateur photography skills?

The Samsung has is 12Mp and f1.7, whereas the Canon lense is 24Mp and f3.5.

I don't understand how my phone can seeminly take far superior pictures than a dedicated camera.

Can someone please explain this to me and tell me what I'm possibe doing wrong???

1 REPLY 1

cicopo
Elite

your phone is the better camera SOMETIMES.but it can't do what a real camera / lens combo can a lot of the time. Set correctly & in the right hands your camera can stop fast paced action, blur the background while capturing something specific in the foreground & an infinite number of other things the phone & tablet cameras can't do. To test what I'm saying go to the side of a highway & take photos of the hub caps on the cars as they pass. Compare results. Before trying that watch this tutorial so you know what the mode dial is for & try using Tv mode & lets say 1/1000 second shutter speeds & then slower a few photos at a time to learn why a camera puts control in the hands of the photographer.

http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

Your phone CAN'T take photos like this but your camera can. (speeds of both models are in excess of 150 MPH)

7D2_4843v1.jpg

7D2_5986v1.jpg

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements