cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My lapel mic stopped working all of a sudden.... been working for months. Any ideas? Canon Rebel T5i

binowski
Apprentice

Hi,

My lapel mic stopped working all of a sudden.... been working for months. Any ideas?

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T5i.

Sound works fine when I do not have a mic plugged in the jack, but when I plug a mic in... nothing! I don't understand. It was working.

Is there some setting I accidentally pressed? Video audio is on manual.

Thanks,
Brittany

7 REPLIES 7

Danny

Hi, Brittany!

Have you tried any other external microphones on your EOS Rebel T5i?  We'd like to know whether the problem is confined to your lapel mic or if the problem seems to be stemming from the camera itself.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by ready to help 24/7 via email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and midnight ET (5 AM to 9 PM PT), and Saturdays from 10 AM to 8 PM ET (7 AM to 5 PM PT). We also encourage you to check out our Knowledge Base at that same link for answers to common questions.

Thanks and have a great day!

Yes, I tried two other mics. One was the same mic as the original lapel mic that wasn't working. I have two of them. They both worked perfectly fine before last night. I also tried another handheld mic that I own. That also didn't work, but did work previously.

I have no clue what happened! I haven't used the camera for a few weeks over the holidays. Maybe I pressed a wrong button somehwere?

Tim
Authority

Hello Binowski, 

Inside the menu for your EOS Rebel T5i there is an option which could disable sound recording so I want to have us check that on your camera to ensure it's set to enable.  

1.  With the camera in a Creative Zone mode (P, Av, Tc or M) go into the Menu and navigate to the Movie Menu Function Settings 2* Menu 

- This is marked by a small movie camera icon with the number 2 beside it. 

2. Select the Sound Recording Option and press <SET> 

3.  You should see where it says [Sound rec/ Rec. level] options.  

- Select Sound rec. 

4.  You'll see where there are three options- Auto, Manual and Disable.  

5.  Select either the Auto or Manual option and press <SET>

-  Select Auto if you want the sound level adjusted automatically and Manual if you wish to adjust the sound recording level at one of 64 different levels using the peak indicator.  

I sincerely hope this resolves the issue and if not please let us and the community know!  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hey,

Thanks again for responding. I just tried that, and it didn't work.

My drop down menus are slightly different than you suggested, though. I don't know if that matters. 

In sound recording in creative zone, I only have two options — on or off.

In order to get to the auto, manual or disable options, I had to put the camera in another mode (with the flower), and then navigated to the movie menu functions setting 2, and went to sound recording. My camera was on manual. I changed it to auto, and it still doesn't work.

When I speak without the mic in, I can see the sound levels fluctuate. When I plug my mic in, everything stops, even if I'm speaking.

Anything else? I am seriously baffled, though I don't really know much about these type of cameras to begin with.

Thanks again,

Brittany

Hi Brittany,

Thank you for your reply,

From your description, your camera's mode dial may not be working properly. When you switch to Creative modes, such as "P", "Tv" or "AV", you should have the options that Tim described.

I recommend that you contact our Technical Support Department. For contact options, please click here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Binowski, 

Would it be safe to say that, since any microphone you use on the camera must be self powered, the microphones themselves are in good working order and have had fresh batteries inserted in them?  I apologize if you've already done this but I thought it might be worth looking into. 

Hi,

Yes, the mics are self powered and are in good working condition. I just bought both them and the camera in October. Is there anything else that would have made the mics stop working with this camera in particular, or should I just send it in to Canon to be looked at?

Also, are there any physical locations or stores that will fix my camera for me, or must I send it in to be repaired? This is really frustrating because as I said... the camera is brand new! Though I must admit I know nothing about DSLRs.

Thanks,

Brittany

Announcements