cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My canon eos rebel t6 won't focus

CathleenRau
Contributor

I have only had my camera for about a month. It will not focus on any setting. I have tried cleaning the lenses and the mirrors. What am I doing wrong?

17 REPLIES 17

The way I'm interpreting the complain is that the camera WILL NOT AF when using Live View, and not having owned any Rebel Series nor ever having tried using Live View I do not know if that body has AF in Live View. I do know some bodies didn't have that ability & you were required to MF the lens. If it has AF when using the view finder I strongly suspect all is well & working correctly.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

The way I'm interpreting the complain is that the camera WILL NOT AF when using Live View, and not having owned any Rebel Series nor ever having tried using Live View I do not know if that body has AF in Live View. I do know some bodies didn't have that ability & you were required to MF the lens. If it has AF when using the view finder I strongly suspect all is well & working correctly.

My T5 can auto focus in Live View.  It's not very fast, nor accurate, with the 18-55mm kit lens.  You just need good lighting, and contrast.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

In that case it may be the problem here.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

CathleenRau wrote:

It only takes good pictures if I use the view finder. It does not focus, or does not focus properly, when I try using the lcd screen to view the picture I want to take. Obviously I made a mistake cleaning the mirrors at all, is this something that will have entirely ruined my camera so now I can only use it using the view finder? I really would like to someday be able to take semi professional pictures, and having different settings I can use is a huge plus with that. 

Just to put things into perspective: Anything you do to the mirror affects only what you see, not what you get. When you take a picture, the mirror flips out of the way, so the light that forms the image never sees it. Wiping the sensor, OTOH, can affect the resulting image, but I guess it's unlikely that you burrowed deep enough to do that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yeah, I definitely didn't touch the sensor. I guess maybe I will have to see if canon will do a cleaning, maybe check it out and see if their is a problem bigger than just cleaning?

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@CathleenRau wrote:

It only takes good pictures if I use the view finder. It does not focus, or does not focus properly, when I try using the lcd screen to view the picture I want to take. Obviously I made a mistake cleaning the mirrors at all, is this something that will have entirely ruined my camera so now I can only use it using the view finder? I really would like to someday be able to take semi professional pictures, and having different settings I can use is a huge plus with that. 

Just to put things into perspective: Anything you do to the mirror affects only what you see, not what you get. When you take a picture, the mirror flips out of the way, so the light that forms the image never sees it.

Wiping the sensor, OTOH, can affect the resulting image, but I guess it's unlikely that you burrowed deep enough to do that.

Could not a misaligned mirror have a negative impact on Auto Focusing?  Focusing screen?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Enkhjinb
Apprentice
If you have put on some other lenses just make sure you get every single thing off the camera. Or try putting other lenses than you’ve just put on and see if it gets put on w no compilations. No complications then call Canon and ask for help

ljinreno
Apprentice

You have probably accidentally clicked the switch on the lense from A/F (auto focus) to M/F (manual focus).

Announcements