cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My T4i keeps saying no card in Camera.

brandybeayon
Apprentice

I have had my T4i less than a year now, about 3 months a go it went a couple days saying can "no card in Camera"  Then just as Suddenly it stopped and worked again..  Now  it is doing the same thing..  I have 3 different cards all worked yesterday non work today..  The cards are fine my othe camera reads them perfect as well as my computer..  Battery is Charged on camera completely..  what would cause this problem?

11 REPLIES 11

hsbn
Whiz
You can try to do the low level format to clean the card. If you are sure that it's not the card problem, it's better to send your camera to Canon before your warranty is up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

markwilliams279
Contributor

You need to attach your memory card in computer and create a backup of photos. Then you can send it to cannon.

jaygorzy
Contributor
Same problem with my T3i. Cards that worked yesterday (and have photos shot with the T3i) no longer work today. "No Card In Camera' message.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Lexar or SanDisk would be my top choices. I bought a 32 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MBPS for my T4i. 

Assuming you shoot some video any class 10 card will be suitable however not all class 10 cards can cope. Typically they'll work fine then the video will suddenly stop.

Buy a branded card from a big name seller that will not be shipping fakes or seconds (bad sectors, higher propensity to failing and so on). I've been burnt a couple of times with 'bargains', and now consider the modest higher cost of top quality SD cards worth it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mine is a Lexar 32GB card that worked initially in my T3i and now reads "No Card In Camera".  The card still reads fine, however, if I put it in other cameras (both Canon and Nikon) and also reads perfectly fine on my computer.  The problem doesn't seem to be the card.  It seems to be the T3i.

SD cards go bad no matter who made them.  You must try a new 'branded' card from somewhere you trust.  There are counterfiets and stores will sell them at a reduced price.  This is the first place to look for problems and make sure you format it in the camera you intent on using it with.  Don't swap with other cameras or brands of cameras.

EB

I'm not sure where "somehere you trust" is located (?).   All I can tell you is that the exact same new "branded" Lexar Pro card was formatted and used in my T3i last week (and still has over 200 images shot with the T3i on it) and now reads "No Card In Camera" when it is re-inserted into the T3i.   The same card still reads/writes perfectly fine, however, in other devices, including my PC.   Since this problem occurred a couple of days ago, I have tried other SDHC cards in the T3i.  Some work.  Some don't ("No Card In Camera").   All worked previously., and all still read / write perfectly fine in other devices.  I contacted Canon support and their suggestion was to send the T3i in for service.  Thanks for your help.

"I contacted Canon support and their suggestion was to send the T3i in for service."

You can do this but you can also do the easy, free stuff first.  Just because a SD card worked in any other device is not an indication it is a 'go' for your T3i.  Maybe this is not the case for you but it is the first step before you spend money on a repair that possibly you could have done yourself.

Always the first things to do and check is:

Reset the camera to defaults.

Make sure you have a known good fully charged battery.

Make sure your charger works correctly.

And "replace the SD card with a brand new hig quality card from a reputible dealer.

If you are not willing to do these things yourself, send it to Canon service and they will do these things first for you.  Smiley Frustrated

EB

In addition to this list, also (with card removed) look in the SD card slot and make sure it's clear of debris.

I've seen cards get pushed in backward and it breaks the little plastic fins between each of the contacts.  If these get stuck in the slot they can preven the contact pins from seating correctly.  

If you do see something in the slot, you may be able to tap the camera or use something non-conductive (like a wood toothpick) to gently coax it out.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements