cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Macbook Pro will not recognize my Canon Rebel T3i when I plug it in. Please help!

aprince1982
Apprentice

I've installed the necessary software from Canon, but no luck. Any suggestions?

64 REPLIES 64

I have the same problem, I tried to seaarch for it under the system information tabs but i cant find my camera (yes my camera is full battery, plugged and turned on before checking the app). I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! please help

thanks!
- Sarah

Hi Sarah -- the thread is a few months old, but ...

Make sure you're using a proper USB cable.  The factory supplied cable is ideal but you can use other cables as long as you are sure that all the data pins are connected (and since cables exist that are intended only for "charging" devices and do not have the data pins connected, you would need a way to verify the cable.)  Even if you have the factory supplied cable it is possible that the cable has gone bad (I have had issues with cables that appear to be completely undamaged -- but were flakey -- and once I replaced the cable everything was solid.)

If you use a USB "hub" on your computer, that can create a problem.  I wish I could say it would "sometimes" be a problem, but I bought a hub and had camera connection problems... some hubs didn't work at all.  Some hubs worked but were unreliable (camera would randomly disconnect).  I went through three hubs before I finally found a hub that worked.

So... even if you want to use a hub or need to use a hub because you have more USB devices than ports... at least for "testing" purposes, please make sure you connect the camera directly to the computer and don't use a hub (because if you can confirm that doing it this way does work, then you'll have isolated the problem to your hub.)

On the Mac, launch "System Profiler" (it's in your "Utilities" folder.)  Make sure the camera is connected via the USB cable and powered on before launching "System Profiler" because it only scans for connected devices when it starts (if you connect the camera after launching it then it will not appear in the list).  You can force it to re-scan for devices by selecting "File" -> "Refresh Information" from the menu bar.

If you want to get another cable, the Canon factory part was in the above post -or- you can search for a "USB tether cable" (use those terms at a place such as Amazon.com and you'll find lots of options).  The cable has a USB type A male plug on one end and a USB type mini-B on the other end.   I have a few Canon factory cables (because I own several cameras after all these years) but I wanted a long (15') cable for tethered shooting anyway -- so I picked up a 15' cable for less than $10 and it has been a solid performer.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

my macbook wont pick up my camera! help!!

Hey I have a Canon EOS Rebel T6i and I'm using a MacBook Pro. My computer isn't recognizing my camera in the USB Tree and I don't know what to do now. I have pictures that my school wants to use in the yearbook and I'd like to get the photos from my camera by the end of the week. Thank you for the help! 

I TRIED WITH YOUR PREVIOUS ADVICE BUT EVEN IN "SYSTEM INFORMATION " , "USB" BUT CANON DOES NOT APPEAR. HOW CAN I DO? THANKS 

V

Hi Verdianapat,

Thanks for posting.

To allow us to better assist you, please let us know which operating system (and version) you're using.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, I have

MACBOOK PRO 

OS X,  El Capitan, 10.11.6

and my camera is Canon Eos REBEL T6, with original cable, just bought and brand new. 

thanks

Hi Verdianapat,

Thanks for your reply.

Please connect your camera to your computer, turn it on, and check Image Capture to ensure that your camera is correctly recognized by your Mac. Here's how:

1. Click on "File", then select "Open New Finder Window", then click on "Applications.
  2. In the Applications folder, click Image Capture. Image Capture will open.
  3. Under Devices, the Image Capture program will automatically list your camera. (If your camera does not appear, try shutting off your camera and turning it back on.)

Does

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Suddenly the camera and mac won't connect. My camera is a Canon 450D and the Mac is Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4. EOS Utility won't find the camera, image capture won't show the camera. 

When I plug it in, the camera display shows "busy" for a couple of seconds and then disappears. 

I usually use my camera with Dragonframe. I have tried to troubleshoot it with everything found online but I am still having problems. 

Can anyone please suggest anything else I can try?

Thank you! 

Hey MKS1,

OS X 10.15 Catalina has been having some connection troubles, especially if you are using OS X 10.15.2, but you should be able to import images using Image Capture which is already built into your operating system.

1) Click on the Finder icon in your dock (the square smiley face with a line down the middle).

2) Select Applications.

3) Image Capture will be listed in here, double click it to open it.

4) Once Image Capture is open connect the camera and computer with the USB cable. At that point Image Capture should see the camera and begin showing the photos.

5) Once the photos are loaded in you can select the folder you want to save to at the bottom of the window and you can import with the Import button in the bottom right of the window.

Announcements