cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Macbook Pro will not recognize my Canon Rebel T3i when I plug it in. Please help!

aprince1982
Apprentice

I've installed the necessary software from Canon, but no luck. Any suggestions?

64 REPLIES 64

Why should you need to know this. I have never had a digital camera that when plugged in to an active USB port was not immediately recognizable by the PC or Mac. Do Canons have a problem with that? It is a capability that has been in most USB devices since the moid 90s.

pdxjasmine
Apprentice

I am having a similar issue. I just bought a new MacBook Air about a month ago and connected my Digitial Rebel via the USB cord. iPhoto (and Image Capture) recognize the camera but no photos show up. I double checked that there are images on the CF card by viewing the photos on my camera.

I have OS X Yosemite and I installed the software that came with the camera. 

I'm hoping there is a fix to this even though my camera is about 10 years old now!

- Jasmine

@pdxjasmine wrote:

I am having a similar issue. I just bought a new MacBook Air about a month ago and connected my Digitial Rebel via the USB cord. iPhoto (and Image Capture) recognize the camera but no photos show up. I double checked that there are images on the CF card by viewing the photos on my camera.

I have OS X Yosemite and I installed the software that came with the camera. 

I'm hoping there is a fix to this even though my camera is about 10 years old now!

There's a recent article in another thread that seemed to suggest that older Rebels used a different protocol to talk to computers. Though that protocol is now antiquated, it apparently still works; but you have to manually set the camera to use it. I'm not sure which thread it was, but it's one that's still active.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

After searching the Apple forums for a solution, I got it to work. I changed the Communcation setting in the camera from 'Normal' to 'PTP' and everything worked just like it used to!

- Jasmine

Jasmine - 

Thanks so much for the tip.  I have been searching for a month to correct this issue and you saved me fron insanity.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you!!!

Where did you find the Communications setting?  

I have used my several years old Canon Rebel with my Mac many times.  I have never had a problem uploading pictures.  Suddenly the camera will not speak to the Mac.  I know the Mac recognizes the camers as it is listed in the System Utilities.

Any help?

Canon's instructions for connecting camera to computer are of no help.

Thanks.

I am having the same issue. I have upgraded to Yosemite and was able to still upload my pictures off the camera. With the new update changing iphoto to "Photos" I cannot upload the photos off of the camera, whether it's by directly through the SD reader or through attaching the camera via the cord. Through this forum I was able to ascertain that the macbook is reading the camera...but, I canot access the photos. Also, other forums have suggested switching camera to PTP rather than "normal" from what I can tell my camera does not have that in the menu options. 

Please advise,

Thank you!

I understand that I can change a setting from the Tools, Communication Setting from Normal to PTP and my pictures will come up in Image Capture on my Mac. I have a Canon Rebel EOS T3 and I have tried and tried, for about 12 hours at this point over two days to find a "Communication Setting" from my menu and tools within the menu.  I have a day job and this is really making me tired and stressed out. This should be simple and it is far, far from it. It's taking the joy out of photography for me which I don't want to loose.  Help please. I just did a photo shoot and people are waiting for their pictures. I am unable to get Image Capture to open up. The mac does recognize the camera is attached.

Hey there Ellens1!

Only a handful of older models will have the ability to change the communications mode from "Normal" to "PTP." The Rebel T6 is always set to PTP because modern computer operating systems recognize cameras right away when cameras are set to PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol). 

If you're using a MacBook, you might need to make sure your MacBook is plugged into its power supply so that the USB port is given enough power to initiate the picture transfer. You'll also need to make sure your camera is connected directly to your MacBook, not to a USB hub or adapter. 

If you're doing these things, and you're still not having any luck, we recommend reaching out to technical support. They'll get you up and running in no time! 

Our US-based, tech support is 100% free at 1-800-OK-CANON from 8am to Midnight (ET) weekdays and from 10am to 8pm (ET) on Saturdays. 

Outside of the USA, go to http://global.canon/en/support/ for options.

We hope this helps!

Mon
Contributor
Hi Canon community. Because of this forum, I finally figured out how to hook my camera up to my Mac! Thank you
Question: is there a different method when importing a video taken by my Canon Rebel t3i to my Mac Pro??
Announcements