cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon Rebel T5 takes great pics, but won't focus through the viewfinder/eye piece

Dozersmom
Apprentice

I cleaned the focusing screen on my Rebel T5 because of a big dot that was aggrivating. Now when I go to take a photo they are turning out great, but through eye piece the opposite thing is showing in focus. Example: If I take a photo of someone standing in front of a tree the tree is in focus instead of the person (the person would be shown in focus when taking the shot) the problem is only through the viewfinder, it will still autofocus. I have checked the diopter & it didn't affect the problem & this happens will all of my lenses. HELP ME PLEASE!!!

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"I cleaned the focusing screen on my Rebel T5 because of a big dot that was aggrivating."

Oh, my.  I hope you cleaned it with a dust blower bulb, and didn't actually try to wipe anything off.  You need to have your camera professionally inspected, and most likely cleaned and repaired.  You may have bumped something out of alignment.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Peter
Authority
Authority
Are you sure you didn't hit anything else? For example the mirror?

It is quite easy to change focus screen if the focus screen is scratched. You can find tutorials from Youtube.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since auto focus is working correctly you most likely scratched or dislodged the focusing screen when you cleaned it.

The focusing screen is in the visual focusing path, but not the auto focusing path.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Since auto focus is working correctly you most likely scratched or dislodged the focusing screen when you cleaned it.

The focusing screen is in the visual focusing path, but not the auto focusing path.

Capture.JPG

I would consider purchasing a new focusing screen.  They are very inexpensive, but they come with a little tool that is used to lift and set the screen in place.  Your fingers should never touch the screen.  You never want to touch the mirror, either, not with anything except a burst of air to blow of dust.  Let professionals clean your mirror, to maintain its' alignment.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Have you tried to reset the diopter adjustment?

Yes, several times. Thank you for your response & time.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements