cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Cannon Rebel T3i won't take pictures in the dark with the flash on.

vivmar18
Apprentice

Does anyone know how to fix this issue, please?  Thank you so much!

2 REPLIES 2

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is probably not achieving focus. Have you tried it in manual focus?

Do you have it set for "disco flash"?  i.e., use the pop-up flash for focus assist.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This is likely because there isn't enough light to focus. 

If the camera is in "One Shot" mode (which is the default) then it will not take a shot until it can confirm that it has locked focus.  It will take a shot if you switch to manual focus.  It will also take a shot if it is in "AI Servo" focus mode (however that mode will take a shot even if it hasn't focused... use with caution or you may be find your shots weren't actually focused.)

The camera has auto-focus assist that can use pulses of light from the flash to attempt to provide enough light to help the camera focus.  But this function can be disabled via in-camera menus (it is enabled by default).  This feature will only be used if the built-in flash is raised up (Note: If you are in P, Av, Tv, M or A-Dep mode it will not flip up on it's own.  There is a button on the front of the camera - left side - just above the lens release which resembles a lightning bolt which can be used to manually pop-up the flash.)

Some Canon external speedlites (such as the Speedlite 600EX-RT and 600EX II-RT, the 430EX III-RT and 430EX II) have a much better AF-assist beam that uses a red pattern (the light is behind the red lens in the lower part of the speedlite body) and the camera can use that pattern to lock auto-focus even in complete darkness.)  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements