cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Problems with my rebel t5

carolinemac14
Apprentice

Hi there! Recently I purchased my eos rebel t5 from a certified amazon seller. I am fairly new to canon, but some of the problems I have some across has only happened to me. The first being that when I plug the usb into my macbook (air), the device doesn't show up. I downloaded the Image browser and when I got to the connection part, it did not read it. I am currently running the 11in air and I do not have  disk drive so I cannot install the CD. I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.15. The second problem is with the auto focus. I had to change it to manual focus because I the "half" press and "full" press doesn't seem to work. It only ever focuses when I press the button to take the picture. I truly do not understand these problems and I would like a quick response before I decide to send it back

5 REPLIES 5

diverhank
Authority

You can download all of the software and drivers online - remember to select the correct Operating System:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-rebel-t5-ef-s-18-...

What mode are you shooting?  Are you using live view (LCD display) or through the view finder?   Regardless of the settings, when you use the view finder AND the Scene Intelligent Auto mode (the green rectangle with the A inside), the Auto Focus should work.  If it doesn't work, check your lens and make sure the focus button is set to AF and not MF and try again.

If you're using live view, do not select Quick Mode.  When you use Quick Mode, the mirror flips up and you can't tell whether it is focusing (it is, you just can't tell)

If that doesn't work, I think you should send the camera back.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Send it back, while you still have time, and get your money back.  No exchanges..  Frequently, that equipment being sold is not elilgible for a warranty from Canon.  That's why it is so cheap, and probably why it doesn't work.

I only buy online gear in two places: directly from Canon at their online store [see link at lower right corner of page], or from B&H Photo Video.  There are other reputable online vendors.  I have just simply never used them.  I've had excellent service so far, so why change.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

carolinemac14
Apprentice
The driver seems to be working now, it was a problem with my USB port. I don't seem to mind the AF I just use Manual. However, I'm confused how the live view works. When I turn on the camera and the LCD shows the view, the viewfinder eyepiece is back when I look through it, but when I am not on the viewfinder through the LCD, the viewfinder works. Is this how the camera is or do I have something not enabled?

If you feel that Auto Focus is not working properly, you should send the camera back for a refund IMMEDIATELY.

The whole point of Digital SLR cameras is to able to use the AF systems with AF lenses, in conjunction with the viewfinder.  Live View shooting is used primarily for when you mount the camera on a tripod. 

Your T5 is not a "point and shoot" camera, most of which lack viewfinders.  If you are still learning to use the camera, nearly all of your shots should be made looking through the viewfinder.  The LCD screen presents a large drain on battery charge. 

Turn your mode switch to the green "A", and the camera should behave much like a "point and shoot" camera.  Auto Focus should be available.  If it is not, then something is wrong with the lens, the camera, or both.  SEND IT BACK FOR A REFUND.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The autofocus is working fine now. I was only just confused at first.
Announcements