cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving pictures wirelessly with Rebel T6 cameras. What a joke.

ardi
Contributor

I think the Canon pre-sale product literature on the wireless NFC feature is borderline fraud.

Who would think that you could not move a picture to anything except a smart phone? Mainly I want to move a picture to a desktop computer to do some real editing on a large display. What a disappointment this was.

This is my first Rebel, and my second complaint is that they seem to add features without any consideration for the user interface. Yes, adding features is nice, but not if you can't find them in the ridiculous menu dropdowns. And who would expect that if you have the NFC turned on the usb cable connection doesn't work? You have to discover that by trial and error. Seriously, they should stop the Rebel upgrades each year and focus on a real overhaul of the whole user experience.

I'm looking at the Sony mirrorless for my next DSLR. Easier to handle and I'll bet easier to use.

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Canon documentation makes no pretense as to the wireless capabilities of their DSLRs.  I do not know what vendor documentation, or description, you may have seen.  The following is from Canon's web site.

EOS_1300D_Wireless_Features.JPG

One common source of confusion is that people hear the word "wireless" and automatically think "networkable."  The first diagram illustrates the "wireless" capabilities of the T6, straight out of the box.  There is no connection to a LAN or a PC.

The standard procedure to get wirelessly transmitted files to your computer would be to go through the Image Gateway.  You upload to the Image Gateway, and then you would later download them to your PC.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Canon documentation makes no pretense as to the wireless capabilities of their DSLRs.  I do not know what vendor documentation, or description, you may have seen.  The following is from Canon's web site.

EOS_1300D_Wireless_Features.JPG

One common source of confusion is that people hear the word "wireless" and automatically think "networkable."  The first diagram illustrates the "wireless" capabilities of the T6, straight out of the box.  There is no connection to a LAN or a PC.

The standard procedure to get wirelessly transmitted files to your computer would be to go through the Image Gateway.  You upload to the Image Gateway, and then you would later download them to your PC.

Yes, my expectation when reading "Wi Fi and NFC" was that it would be networkable. No I didn't read the product literature carefully before I bought the camera, nor would that have probably changed my mind. I haven't tried the Canon Image Gateway but I should, and will. It's a two-step process to get photos onto my desktop and Lightroom, but ten GB free is plenty for my primary need (temporary storage). My biggest concern is when we travel and I want to preserve new pictures in case I fall in a river or whatever. Thanks for your response.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Having been on this forum for several years, I have seen that most complaints result from folks not looking at the camera manual.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Having been on this forum for several years, I have seen that most complaints result from folks not looking at the camera manual.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Yes, I finally found this almost by accident. Lots of cussing before I figured it out. Still, does this sound like something you should expect or something they just didn't solve so they put it in a manual and said, "good enough."

Thanks for yor response. I appreciate it.

"Yes, I finally found this almost by accident. Lots of cussing before I figured it out. Still, does this sound like something you should expect or something they just didn't solve so they put it in a manual and said, "good enough."

Thanks for yor response. I appreciate it."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to have the ability to communicate via USB or Wireless at the same time would requre duplicate communication circuitry.  They cut costs [and space, and heat dissapation, and noise, etc] by including only one set of comm circutis, and so they force the user to choose.  The vast majority of users choose one method, and never switch up.

I have my iPhone and iMac computer synched to the same iCloud account.  I set Canon Connect to transfer the original size pictures to my iPhone then, within minutes, the full resolution pictures show up on my iMac.  The iPhone will eventually store a reduced resolution version of the images, since I have it set to optimize storage space, but the Mac is set to store the full resolution versions.  

Windows computers and Android phones should be able to do the same thing using a common cloud account.  Apple also makes iCloud for Windows.  It's a simple and fast way of sharing your pictures among different devices.

"Windows computers and Android phones should be able to do the same thing using a common cloud account.  Apple also makes iCloud for Windows.  It's a simple and fast way of sharing your pictures among different devices."

The implementation of iCloud for Windows is a farce, because it is crippled.  The implementation is designed to draw users away from MS Windows to Apple OS.  For starters, you must register and enable the iClould for Windows account from an Apple device.  Basically, you share the iClould created for the Apple device with a Windows device running iCloud for Windows.

That was just one example of the many cloud options available to Windows users. I have personally not used the Apple iCloud with a non-Apple device. Microsoft, Google, etc. offer other choices. My point was that synching your smartphone and computer to a common cloud account will let you share pictures between devices.

@ardi wrote:

I think the Canon pre-sale product literature on the wireless NFC feature is borderline fraud.

Who would think that you could not move a picture to anything except a smart phone? Mainly I want to move a picture to a desktop computer to do some real editing on a large display. What a disappointment this was. ...

Is there even such a thing as an NFC-equipped desktop computer?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements