cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Movie recording has been stopped - Question

Katybeewebb
Contributor

Hi! Okay so my canon t6 rebel gets this message "Movie recording has been stopped" message while recording on full hd 1080 p. I have read it is because of a slow memory card but I have a Sandisk Ultra Plus 32 gb 80 MB/s card. I have read reviews that this card is good for video and it worked great in my sony mirrorless camera, which i know is different than a DSLR. But my question is, is this card not good enough? And what card would you recommend? 

11 REPLIES 11

@Katybeewebb wrote:
Alright so I just tested it again and this time it only did 12 minutes in the highest level 😞 which is better than five I guess lol. I guess I'll buy a new card and see if that helps. It didn't continue to record it just got that message again that the recording has been stopped. I'm so bummed 😞

The chart and information that I posted above came from the instruction manual for a different, more expensive camera than the T5i.  However, because nearly all Canon DSLRs share a common storage format on memory cards, and all use the same video file format, the limitations defined by the chart should apply to your T5i, nearly all other Canon DSLRs, except for the most expensive models.

Your camera just may not automatically start a new video file.  Check your instruction manual. By not automatically beginning a new video file, your camera may be protecting itself from damage.  Recording video causes image sensors to heat up quickly and significantly.  The sensor can even heat up to the point where the camera will shut itself down.  This overheating danger should also be described in the instruction manual.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Katybeewebb wrote:
Alright so I just tested it again and this time it only did 12 minutes in the highest level 😞 which is better than five I guess lol. I guess I'll buy a new card and see if that helps. It didn't continue to record it just got that message again that the recording has been stopped. I'm so bummed 😞

One reason because of the varying recording time could be your video content.  Just as photo files are not all the same size because of image compression, video files are likewise not all the same size because of video compression.

When you buy a new card, I would advise to buy at least one 32GB card, which SDHC.  A 64GB card is SDXC, and many people have experienced issues with some brands of cards, even name brands.  

Never use a microSD card, because they are nothing but trouble.  The adapters are highly unreliable.  Finally, be sure to perform a low level format on any memory card that you put in your camera prior to using it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements