cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mostly black photos, only upper portion visible

ACorral
Apprentice

I just bought a Rebel T3 out of the box (not the T3i). Unfortunately, all the photos are completely black except at the top where the photo shows the top of my intended shots. I formatted the memory card on the normal & low settings, & followed the setup procedures in the manual as instructed. Furthermore, it happens with both the viewfinder & the LCD monitor display, & the photos appear as described on my computer when I removed the memory card from the camera. Did I miss something? Any suggestions? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

Are you using flash?

If so, it might be an incorrect sync speed (probably 1/200 is the fastest shutter speed possible to use, but I don't have T3 to check). Even if the sync speed is correct, it's possible to block part of the flash with the lens or a lens hood... even a finger in the wrong place.

If not using flash, then it sounds as if there might be a fault with the shutter in your camera. Did you buy it locally at a store? Can you take it back to them and have them test it, exchange it if necessary? Many stores will do an exchange if there's a problem with a camera immediately... within the first few days, perhaps a week or two. It's also often possible to exchange if bought online... depending upon the seller. Just not as convenient as a local purchase.

If the store won't do an exchange, you may need to send the camera in to Canon Service, to be checked, repaired or replaced. It's under warranty for a year typically, at a minimum (unless it was a "gray market" purchase, in which case you'll have to deal with the store).

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

amfoto1
Authority

Are you using flash?

If so, it might be an incorrect sync speed (probably 1/200 is the fastest shutter speed possible to use, but I don't have T3 to check). Even if the sync speed is correct, it's possible to block part of the flash with the lens or a lens hood... even a finger in the wrong place.

If not using flash, then it sounds as if there might be a fault with the shutter in your camera. Did you buy it locally at a store? Can you take it back to them and have them test it, exchange it if necessary? Many stores will do an exchange if there's a problem with a camera immediately... within the first few days, perhaps a week or two. It's also often possible to exchange if bought online... depending upon the seller. Just not as convenient as a local purchase.

If the store won't do an exchange, you may need to send the camera in to Canon Service, to be checked, repaired or replaced. It's under warranty for a year typically, at a minimum (unless it was a "gray market" purchase, in which case you'll have to deal with the store).

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

It probably is caused by you shutter speed exceeding the maximum speed for flash syncronization.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

As Alan says -- what you are describing sounds a lot like you were using flash with a shutter speed faster than the max shutter sync speed for your camera.

If you want, post an example (with the EXIF data included) and we can help you diagnose it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

That happened to me once and I realized my Speedlite flash has slid back in the mounting shoe and wasn't making full electrical contact with the camera so it was allowing the camera to use a flash speed faster than the max sync speed. I slid it back in properly and that ended the problem.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ACorral
Apprentice

Thank you to all of you. At Tim´s suggestion, I attached some photos of my Christmas tree this year with EXIF data included (I hope). I attached photos taken in: ¨No flash mode¨, ¨Auto mode¨ (flash used), & ¨Manual mode¨.

I don´t believe its the flash since I get the same results with & without using the flash. Thankfully, I bought it locally yesterday & I still have the receipt.
IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

That may be a bad shutter.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Looks similar to synch speed, but that usually gives half an image. If you're using an external flashgun, take it off and try without. What mode are you using?

ACorral
Apprentice

Thank you everybody. The retailer replaced the camera; it turned out to be the shutter. The first one was the display one, so I figured one of the customers messing with it must have broken something.

Announcements